The Student Room Group

Capped at 40% won't allow me to pass??

It sounds confusing but ill break it down.

In my univeristy we are expected to take two exams.
the first one is the "small test" which is 40%
the second one is the "final exam" at 60%

I absolutely suck in this subject but dont want to fail yet. In the "small test" i have managed to get a 35.00 and in the big "final exam" i recieved a 33.00. However, i am retaking in summer, and will be asked to do the 40% test..but iv caluclatedit and my results will STILL not be a pass..so what am i supposed to do.

can someone please help me on how this is supposed to work out? i mean whats the point of revising if ill still be below a 40%
Reply 1
Original post by chip_dolla

I absolutely suck in this subject but dont want to fail yet. In the "small test" i have managed to get a 35.00 and in the big "final exam" i recieved a 33.00. However, i am retaking in summer, and will be asked to do the 40% test..but iv caluclatedit and my results will STILL not be a pass..so what am i supposed to do.

can someone please help me on how this is supposed to work out? i mean whats the point of revising if ill still be below a 40%

Can't you also retake the 60% test?
Reply 2
Original post by marupe
Can't you also retake the 60% test?

no. They choose for us which is stupid tbh..

Still not clear, do you mean

Small exam, worth 40% of the final grade, you got 35/100
Big exam, worth 60% of the final grade, you got 33/100

You are resitting the small exam, worth 40% and it is capped at 40/100 maximum grade?

What is the pass mark for the whole year?
Reply 4

no. They choose for us which is stupid tbh..

You're essentially screwed. Unless you can get a compensated pass of sort (unlikely at 35.8 for the entire year) you might need to retake the whole year?
Speak to who ever is in charge of your course, plead with them to retake both exams. If you can retake the 60% exam, and get 40%, you will still only have 38% unless you also retake the other
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
Still not clear, do you mean

Small exam, worth 40% of the final grade, you got 35/100
Big exam, worth 60% of the final grade, you got 33/100

You are resitting the small exam, worth 40% and it is capped at 40/100 maximum grade?

What is the pass mark for the whole year?

what you said above is correct and yes the pass mark is 40% so anything below it is an F. and iv calculated with the resit ill still be getting an F so whats the catch?
Reply 6
Original post by marupe
You're essentially screwed. Unless you can get a compensated pass of sort (unlikely at 35.8 for the entire year) you might need to retake the whole year?
Speak to who ever is in charge of your course, plead with them to retake both exams. If you can retake the 60% exam, and get 40%, you will still only have 38% unless you also retake the other

if it means retaking im not going to lol. Im sick and tired of uni
Reply 7
if it means retaking im not going to lol. Im sick and tired of uni

at least speak to someone who can help, they may be able to change which exam you retake?

which year are you in?
Reply 8
Is that two component assessments for one module though? So the overall module mark is what is capped at 40 not the individual component assessment?
what you said above is correct and yes the pass mark is 40% so anything below it is an F. and iv calculated with the resit ill still be getting an F so whats the catch?

So as Marupe said, the only way to can pass is to retake both papers. You need to speak to someone about your options.
Reply 10
Original post by marupe
at least speak to someone who can help, they may be able to change which exam you retake?

which year are you in?

thats a good idea but i feel like every route i take it takes me to a dead end. Iv tried to reach out to them and they dont reply. I go to the desk for help they say i need to speak to the module organiser.. most of them are on holiday. but yeah ill try Thank you.
Reply 11
thats a good idea but i feel like every route i take it takes me to a dead end. Iv tried to reach out to them and they dont reply. I go to the desk for help they say i need to speak to the module organiser.. most of them are on holiday. but yeah ill try Thank you.

Uni administration are slow, and mostly useless. But this is your future at stake- so don't give up. Keep emailing until you get some sort of a response. Which year are you in? If first year then you might want to switch subjects if you don't like your current subject/find it too difficult. Then you can start afresh, and you'll still have the funding to do so.
Reply 12
If it is the module mark that is capped then there isn't a problem.

If the individual component is capped then you need to be able to sit both.

Is it the module or component that is capped?
Yeah, mathematically you're screwed.
The best mark you can get is 36%, which isn't even that close for a rounding up to oocur.

Are you sure they cap your performance at 40%, or whatever is required to obtain a D grade overall?
Reply 14
Original post by amihalo
Is that two component assessments for one module though? So the overall module mark is what is capped at 40 not the individual component assessment?

I assume it's two exams for the whole year, not a module

If it's a module OP then you could pass if you have other modules which are higher
Reply 15
Why are you not retaking both exams? Surely if you have failed both, which you have since you didn't achieve 40%, you should be resitting both?
Reply 16
Original post by Alan88
Why are you not retaking both exams? Surely if you have failed both, which you have since you didn't achieve 40%, you should be resitting both?

no apparently I am ONLY resisting the 40% which blows my mind because I don't see the point of it
Reply 17
Original post by Johnathan94
Yeah, mathematically you're screwed.
The best mark you can get is 36%, which isn't even that close for a rounding up to oocur.

Are you sure they cap your performance at 40%, or whatever is required to obtain a D grade overall?

Yes that is what they have emailed me. I dont know if they've thought this through..
Reply 18
Yes that is what they have emailed me. I dont know if they've thought this through..

See if anyone else on your course has the same problem, it's harder to ignore a group

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending