The Student Room Group

I think I have been underpaid need help

Basically, I am working in a sh*** warehouse packing s*****
amazon parcels for a so called Christian family. But that is me ranting and getting away from my question haha.

I work 5 days a week and 40 hours in total. Usually 7am to 4 pm however I do stay later on a Monday. For the 4 weeks since I started in July I have only been paid £637 which works around £2.90 an hour which is f****** ridiculous, I’m not sure if I would have had to pay taxes or anything as I’m only earning minimum wage and it works out below the income of somebody who has to pay taxes which I think is £11,854 per working year.

Has anyone got any advice as to what I should do and what I should say to my boss if he denies having to pay minimum wage as he has been known to do so in the past.

Also am I entitled to be paid for staying late at work?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Ps, sorry for the bad language and if I offended anyone
Do you have a job contract that states your working hours and pay? Most often, you should be paid for overtime. Have you talked to your boss about the missing pay?
Original post by Tom Downey
Basically, I am working in a sh*** warehouse packing s*****
amazon parcels for a so called Christian family. But that is me ranting and getting away from my question haha.

I work 5 days a week and 40 hours in total. Usually 7am to 4 pm however I do stay later on a Monday. For the 4 weeks since I started in July I have only been paid £637 which works around £2.90 an hour which is f****** ridiculous, I’m not sure if I would have had to pay taxes or anything as I’m only earning minimum wage and it works out below the income of somebody who has to pay taxes which I think is £11,854 per working year.

Has anyone got any advice as to what I should do and what I should say to my boss if he denies having to pay minimum wage as he has been known to do so in the past.

Also am I entitled to be paid for staying late at work?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Ps, sorry for the bad language and if I offended anyone

Does your payslip itemise any deductions?
Two options:

1) Iffy employer who is screwing you out of pay.
2) You've been put on an emergency tax code (although based on how little you've been paid, I don't think this would account for all of your missing income).

Is this cash in hand work?
You're not on the 16/17 UK minimum wage are you?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Does your payslip itemise any deductions?

I haven’t received a pay slip yet

Employers must provide you with a payslip on or before the day you are paid. Sounds like you're working for someone who is trying to hide what they are paying you.

You must get a payslip - my guess would be that you've paid tax and this is common when you start a job. You'll be able to reclaim it if you talk to HR.
Probably a couple of things

1. There's normally a cut off for pay day so for example if the cut off was 2 weeks ago you'd only have got 2 weeks pay, the next 2 weeks will be paid next month

2. Usually you start on an emergency tax code which means you pay loads of tax but it'll be paid back to you as soon as your tax code is fixed

Legally you must be paid for overtime. But get permission from the boss to do it or they may be angry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending