The Student Room Group

Self Teaching A level.

Hey!
I've been homeschooled for a while now. My parents were basically my primary teachers but then I got tutors when I started secondary. Now that I've finished and done my GCSEs, i realised that tutors aren't right for me. I was wondering if anyone here knows if I can do my A-levels on my own? Is it possible? Like, just buy the textbooks of my chosen subjects, study them, then take my exams. It would be the easier option for me i guess. Thanks =) Hope thiss made sense

Scroll to see replies

Yeah it's possible. But for some subjects that require coursework/controlled assessment you'll need to go to centres and sort stuff out. What subjects are you taking?
Reply 2
Original post by Sumi12321
Hey!
I've been homeschooled for a while now. My parents were basically my primary teachers but then I got tutors when I started secondary. Now that I've finished and done my GCSEs, i realised that tutors aren't right for me. I was wondering if anyone here knows if I can do my A-levels on my own? Is it possible? Like, just buy the textbooks of my chosen subjects, study them, then take my exams. It would be the easier option for me i guess. Thanks =) Hope thiss made sense

What A-Levels do you want to do? I could give some guidance.
Reply 3
Original post by Black Water
What A-Levels do you want to do? I could give some guidance.

I'm still deciding on the other subjects, but I definitely want to do History.
Reply 4
Original post by 3pointonefour
Yeah it's possible. But for some subjects that require coursework/controlled assessment you'll need to go to centres and sort stuff out. What subjects are you taking?

Not exactly sure yet, but I do want to take History.
Reply 5
I'm still deciding on the other subjects, but I definitely want to do History.

Oh ok. History may contain coursework, so you’ll have to find an exam centre which can accommodate for your coursework. Try checking for some near you. Exams will also be sat there unless you want to do it elsewhere.
Reply 6
I'm curious about both actually. Do you have any tips or advice? Thanks
Not exactly sure yet, but I do want to take History.

Essay subjects tend to be harder to self study since the marking is relatively subjective. I'd recommend having an examiner/teacher/tutor you can send in essays for them to mark so you can develop a style that gets easy marks.
Reply 8
Oh ok. History may contain coursework, so you’ll have to find an exam centre which can accommodate for your coursework. Try checking for some near you. Exams will also be sat there unless you want to do it elsewhere.

Do you know if the exam centres have any requirements? Do you just book the exam and sit it or do they need to know how you've studied for the exam etc.
Reply 9
Do you know if the exam centres have any requirements? Do you just book the exam and sit it or do they need to know how you've studied for the exam etc.

Not usually, no. You just have to pay for the exams and coursework and you should be able to do them. You can get tuition lessons from private tutors, but that’s up to you. They don’t need to know how you’re going to study for the exams.
Reply 10
Not usually, no. You just have to pay for the exams and coursework and you should be able to do them. You can get tuition lessons from private tutors, but that’s up to you. They don’t need to know how you’re going to study for the exams.

oh ok. Thank you for you help!
Reply 11
oh ok. Thank you for you help!

No problem, good luck with it. :smile:
Hey!

What subjects? I basically taught myself M3 and physics (owing to the fact I had 9 different physics teachers at AS level and the A level teachers were basically my age) so I'd say its definitely possible and a lot better in my opinion.
Reply 13
Thank you!! My parents can help me read through my essays. I guess I am able to push myself.
Thanks again!
Reply 14
Original post by Legend123456
What subjects? I basically taught myself M3 and physics (owing to the fact I had 9 different physics teachers at AS level and the A level teachers were basically my age) so I'd say its definitely possible and a lot better in my opinion.

History and maybe a couple of languages. I have a few people around me who can help. Was it easy for to self-teach?
History and maybe a couple of languages. I have a few people around me who can help. Was it easy for to self-teach?

Yes for many reasons one being I am dyslexic so I could teach myself in a way that was beneficial to me that was more based on understanding rather than rote learning. And because I taught myself in this way I needed to revise less as I rly understood those topics so it was quite easy to revist them. I also had more opportunity to look at past papers which is rly the only way to go about A levels especially if you don't like wasting time. I actually got permission to leave school for the last term. I found the revision guides a lot more useful than the textbook as it gave me the bare minimum knowledge I needed (my memory isn't so good so I rly heavily on understanding) to then go onto past papers. However, it will probably be different for you as your subjects require more knowledge but I find even with languages when I teach myself its better as I am able to write notes tailored to the way I learn. It's also easier to grasp how you learn best when you teach yourself I feel.
Yes for many reasons one being I am dyslexic so I could teach myself in a way that was beneficial to me that was more based on understanding rather than rote learning. And because I taught myself in this way I needed to revise less as I rly understood those topics so it was quite easy to revist them. I also had more opportunity to look at past papers which is rly the only way to go about A levels especially if you don't like wasting time. I actually got permission to leave school for the last term. I found the revision guides a lot more useful than the textbook as it gave me the bare minimum knowledge I needed (my memory isn't so good so I rly heavily on understanding) to then go onto past papers. However, it will probably be different for you as your subjects require more knowledge but I find even with languages when I teach myself its better as I am able to write notes tailored to the way I learn. It's also easier to grasp how you learn best when you teach yourself I feel.

sry that was rather long-winded but self teaching is something I'm rather passionate about owing to the fact we are all individuals and learn differently
Reply 17

I get what you mean. I want to teach myself because I tend to lose focus so easily. I feel like if I managed my own time, without a teacher/tutor telling me when to do this and that, I would be more productive.
Thanks for your help!

Languages would also be tricky as you'd have to pay for the non-written exams as well. You could look at joining a school?
It's possible, but some will require coursework (or the sciences require PAGs) so you'll have to find a way to do those

Quick Reply

Latest