The Student Room Group

How important is it to mention Jurisprudence in PS for Oxford?

So I'm applying and I'm wondering if it would be advisable to mention something in my personal statement specifically regarding jurisprudence. I have an interest in the topic but I have so much else to write about that I feel it would be a waste of characters. How detrimental would it be to omit to talk about it, even though the course is titled 'Jurisprudence'?

Any advice from people at Oxford or someone who's clued up on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Dobby's Phoenix
So I'm applying and I'm wondering if it would be advisable to mention something in my personal statement specifically regarding jurisprudence. I have an interest in the topic but I have so much else to write about that I feel it would be a waste of characters. How detrimental would it be to omit to talk about it, even though the course is titled 'Jurisprudence'?

Any advice from people at Oxford or someone who's clued up on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks

It is of no importance whatsoever, for several reasons:

1. Your personal statement is of very little significance for Oxford admissions purposes anyway. Only in the most extraordinary of circumstances is what a student writes on their personal statement going to make any real difference to whether they get in or not.

2. Not everyone at Oxford - and therefore not all admissions tutors - are interested in Jurisprudence, where that means the philosophy of law. And those who are don't mind if you're not.

3. The course name 'Jurisprudence' is just an anachronistic way of referring to 'Law' - it doesn't mean specifically the philosophy of law.
Original post by Estreth
It is of no importance whatsoever, for several reasons:

1. Your personal statement is of very little significance for Oxford admissions purposes anyway. Only in the most extraordinary of circumstances is what a student writes on their personal statement going to make any real difference to whether they get in or not.

2. Not everyone at Oxford - and therefore not all admissions tutors - are interested in Jurisprudence, where that means the philosophy of law. And those who are don't mind if you're not.

3. The course name 'Jurisprudence' is just an anachronistic way of referring to 'Law' - it doesn't mean specifically the philosophy of law.

Perfect, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending