The Student Room Group

University attendance for postgrads

Hi

Are postgrad courses monitored for attendance? Like if you kiss a few days of your course owing to illness or unforeseen circumstances are you kicked off the course or is it like undergrad study where as long as you produce the work and meet the deadlines it’s not a big deal?

Thanks
Miss not kiss**
Original post by MissPsychology19
Hi

Are postgrad courses monitored for attendance? Like if you kiss a few days of your course owing to illness or unforeseen circumstances are you kicked off the course or is it like undergrad study where as long as you produce the work and meet the deadlines it’s not a big deal?

Thanks

Some post grad courses will have attendance requirements (especially if it's a course with placements for example). However if you have good reasons for missing a day or two (e.g. Illness) I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Some post grad courses will have attendance requirements (especially if it's a course with placements for example). However if you have good reasons for missing a day or two (e.g. Illness) I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your reply
Yes my course has no placements assigned it is all taught lectures. I know that there is roughly 60 people on the course so I’m thinking if I miss a day will it be detrimental to my studies
Thanks for your reply
Yes my course has no placements assigned it is all taught lectures. I know that there is roughly 60 people on the course so I’m thinking if I miss a day will it be detrimental to my studies

I mean I think it would be a good idea to avoid missing days if you can but I'm sure if you miss the odd one you will be able to catch up. The uni won't expect everyone to be super human and never get ill.
I went to my master's for 1.5 weeks.

They had sign in for some seminars; no one said anything to me. Will vary by uni, but it is possible that not only can you skip a few days ... but the whole course itself.
Original post by Notoriety
I went to my master's for 1.5 weeks.

They had sign in for some seminars; no one said anything to me. Will vary by uni, but it is possible that not only can you skip a few days ... but the whole course itself.

😂 I mean this isn’t ideal but did you complete your course?

I don’t intend to miss any days but I will be doing a long commute owing to commitments in my own place of living so I am unable to relocate, on the odd occasion it may be not be feasible to get there So was wondering if like undergraduate they post the notes up so you can catch up later
😂 I mean this isn’t ideal but did you complete your course?

I don’t intend to miss any days but I will be doing a long commute owing to commitments in my own place of living so I am unable to relocate, on the odd occasion it may be not be feasible to get there So was wondering if like undergraduate they post the notes up so you can catch up later

No, it is ideal in fact. For a master's, you are not there to sit and learn bulletpoints from a powerpoint. You're supposed to be engaging with the advanced topics in your subject, just a few rungs down from your lecturers. That means a lot of time in independent study; and a lot of time thinking for yourself. I followed the lectures and reading list, but any time spent in a room learning introductory stuff was time wasted in my eyes.

Yes, in the process of completing it now.
Original post by Notoriety
No, it is ideal in fact. For a master's, you are not there to sit and learn bulletpoints from a powerpoint. You're supposed to be engaging with the advanced topics in your subject, just a few rungs down from your lecturers. That means a lot of time in independent study; and a lot of time thinking for yourself. I followed the lectures and reading list, but any time spent in a room learning introductory stuff was time wasted in my eyes.

Yes, in the process of completing it now.

Wow that’s fantastic - congratulations.

You have received no penalty for not attending providing you have handed the work in on time and met the necessary deadlines.

Have you had to complete any group work or found it difficult to complete any assignments owing to you not physically being there at the time of the lecture?

I really appreciate your advice thank you
Wow that’s fantastic - congratulations.

You have received no penalty for not attending providing you have handed the work in on time and met the necessary deadlines.

Have you had to complete any group work or found it difficult to complete any assignments owing to you not physically being there at the time of the lecture?

I really appreciate your advice thank you

No penalty. Group work was expected as part of some of my seminars; but as I said, I never went beyond the first 2 weeks.
At my uni, if you miss four contact times (lectures and seminars) in a row for a single module, you get emailed to warn you that your attendance is slipping and to report the reasons why (if you haven't already). If you miss more/don't explain yourself, you will be given a final warning before they start the process of withdrawing you from the course.
As above, there might be a hidden "catch all" where the uni does require a certain amount of attendance.

Additionally, for a postgrad course it might be good practice to let lecturers know you will be missing, asking if you can catch up with them at X time, depending on how big the course is. You likely will want a good relationship with the academics teaching you for reference letters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending