The Student Room Group

Therapy during final year/as a foundation doctor

Hi guys :h:

i'm just about to start my final year of medicine!

i was just wondering whether anybody here has experience of managing regular therapy whilst a final year med student and beyond into foundation years - both in terms of the physical getting to appointments with an irregular/unpredictable schedule, as well as managing the mental fatigue that comes along with therapy

i have quite a long and complex MH history - i'm 24 now, had depression/anxiety for about 10 years now, developed an eating disorder and started SHing the summer after my first year at uni, ended up with massive bald patches due to the wonder that is trichotillomania, picked up a few other diagnoses along the way etc etc. i've had a lot of therapy (two years of weekly general therapy as well as a year of NHS CBT) and taken a lot of meds, and i'm happy to say i believe i've got past the worst of it :smile:

i came off my antidepressants last year and haven't had any therapy for about two years - in september i relapsed quite badly back into my eating disorder, but woke up one day in january and thought "nope nope nope can't live like this any more i have to get rid of this once and for all"

long story short i've fought hard on my own since january and have made so, so much progress but i think i've reached a point where i would like to talk to somebody else about it to keep on making progress in the right direction - i don't think it's necessarily urgent (ie; when i first started therapy i NEEDED it because i was spiralling), i just think it would be a useful thing to do

the issue is theres no point getting myself referred to the local NHS services as the waiting list is at least 18 months long here and i don't intend on staying here beyond graduation (plus the NHS is unlikely to see me as it's not urgent and besides, many psychologists refuse to discuss my ED with me as they're not experts even though the ED team also won't see me because i'm not underweight).

i used to see the counselling services at my old uni but the services here don't do evenings or weekends and for the vast majority of the next year i'm going to be on distant placements and won't be able to travel back for appointments (for example i'm going to wales and the isle of man each for a month)

and private is not an option because i'm broke :frown:

i've heard about telephone therapy but i'd really prefer not to go down that route

and then considering that i'm probably the kind of person who will go in and out of therapy just as a kind of 'top up' for the rest of my life, how would it work in terms of the rota of a foundation doctor and trying to have regular appointments??

so i figured i'm definitely not the only person to have this issue, hopefully maybe somebody on here has some tips on getting regular therapy whilst in final year?

also also (last thing i promise) - any tips on informing occy health that i'm back in therapy whilst emphasising the fact that things are 100% not terrible right now - my relationship with OH is not good at all and they tend to overreact to everything ('supportive' my arse) and i am mildly concerned they will erupt with this news :/

thanks so much in advance and sorry for the essay!! <3

tl;dr - used to be a very messed up kid, now not so messed up but want to go back into therapy - how can i do this with the lifestyle of a final year medic???
Original post by laurie:)
Hi guys :h:

i'm just about to start my final year of medicine!

i was just wondering whether anybody here has experience of managing regular therapy whilst a final year med student and beyond into foundation years - both in terms of the physical getting to appointments with an irregular/unpredictable schedule, as well as managing the mental fatigue that comes along with therapy

i have quite a long and complex MH history - i'm 24 now, had depression/anxiety for about 10 years now, developed an eating disorder and started SHing the summer after my first year at uni, ended up with massive bald patches due to the wonder that is trichotillomania, picked up a few other diagnoses along the way etc etc. i've had a lot of therapy (two years of weekly general therapy as well as a year of NHS CBT) and taken a lot of meds, and i'm happy to say i believe i've got past the worst of it :smile:

i came off my antidepressants last year and haven't had any therapy for about two years - in september i relapsed quite badly back into my eating disorder, but woke up one day in january and thought &quot;nope nope nope can't live like this any more i have to get rid of this once and for all&quot;

long story short i've fought hard on my own since january and have made so, so much progress but i think i've reached a point where i would like to talk to somebody else about it to keep on making progress in the right direction - i don't think it's necessarily urgent (ie; when i first started therapy i NEEDED it because i was spiralling), i just think it would be a useful thing to do

the issue is theres no point getting myself referred to the local NHS services as the waiting list is at least 18 months long here and i don't intend on staying here beyond graduation (plus the NHS is unlikely to see me as it's not urgent and besides, many psychologists refuse to discuss my ED with me as they're not experts even though the ED team also won't see me because i'm not underweight).

i used to see the counselling services at my old uni but the services here don't do evenings or weekends and for the vast majority of the next year i'm going to be on distant placements and won't be able to travel back for appointments (for example i'm going to wales and the isle of man each for a month)

and private is not an option because i'm broke :frown:

i've heard about telephone therapy but i'd really prefer not to go down that route

and then considering that i'm probably the kind of person who will go in and out of therapy just as a kind of 'top up' for the rest of my life, how would it work in terms of the rota of a foundation doctor and trying to have regular appointments??

so i figured i'm definitely not the only person to have this issue, hopefully maybe somebody on here has some tips on getting regular therapy whilst in final year?

also also (last thing i promise) - any tips on informing occy health that i'm back in therapy whilst emphasising the fact that things are 100% not terrible right now - my relationship with OH is not good at all and they tend to overreact to everything ('supportive' my arse) and i am mildly concerned they will erupt with this news :/

thanks so much in advance and sorry for the essay!! &lt;3

tl;dr - used to be a very messed up kid, now not so messed up but want to go back into therapy - how can i do this with the lifestyle of a final year medic???

I would start by getting my life on track and working for a better mental state first. Maybe start small and not going straight into work. Maybe take a break and get yourself together.
Reply 2
Original post by Professional G
I would start by getting my life on track and working for a better mental state first. Maybe start small and not going straight into work. Maybe take a break and get yourself together.

Hi there! Thankfully my headspace is currently compatible with remaining at university, as I said I've already done a lot of work in therapy and have spent a lot of time on medication working on my coping skills and thinking patterns - so I have good insight into my position (something I have been told by others, not just something I've decided for myself) and I do not currently feel the need to take time out. I simply want to find a way to have regular therapy so I can continue to improve and move on with my life :smile:
If you work full time, I think you would really struggle to have regular appointments. On most jobs, you will only be free between 9 and 5 before or after night shifts or during your annual leave, and although there are private therapists who do evening or weekend appointments, the NHS definitely do not. I know you can self-refer to counselling via occ health, but I am not sure how that works appointment-wise, or whether it is the kind of help you are looking for.

If I have understood you post correctly, it sounds like you are looking for someone to make sure you are doing OK ED-wise? If so, your GP could potentially be the person to do that. You could also check out ED support groups - I know BEAT have online support groups, which may be a good option if you are moving around a lot and working shifts. Otherwise, it would probably have to be a private therapist as I don't see the NHS providing the sort of ad hoc help you are looking for (especially if you are doing relatively well).
Reply 4
I think the main issue is who is going to provide this therapy. You have identified that NHS is not really an option due to a long waiting list and you are planning to move to a different region on graduation. You can't afford private at the moment.

I'm guessing that you may be Manchester (coming from St Andrews to join clinical)? Have you considered talking to Uni about your final year placements? If there is a good reason such as attending regular therapy session with the uni support service they may be able to keep you local for your rotations. I have been to Wales for few of mine and they were fantastic in terms of support and smaller student groups so maybe you don't want to miss on that.

If you pay to go private when you start earning it's quite straightforward as you can choose your own therapist, make sure they work in your preferred modality (CBT, psychodynamic, CAT, art etc etc) and are comfortable with ED. Most private therapists offer evening sessions. They cater for people who can afford it and most of those people are in work so not much point sticking to 9-5 exclusively.

When you start working you will have another OH assessment. If ongoing therapy is identified as essential to keep you well and working time for your sessions will be a reasonable adjustment and OH will make that recommendation. It can be a double edge sword though as if you argue that you need therapy to stay well they may be inclined to recommend that you work part time and go on your days off.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
If you haven't already I would recommend joining the Tea and Empathy Facebook group and submitting your question there. You're more likely to come across people who have had similar issues than on here, I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending