The Student Room Group

Cambridge application with these AS results

Hi,
I took CIE IALs (AS Level) this summer and received my results yesterday. Here are my PUMs (Percentage Uniform Marks):

Physics - 94% (A)
Chemistry - 91% (A)
Biology - 91% (A)
Maths - 89% (A)

I want to apply to Cambridge Nat. Sci. (Physical) this year. I'll start working on my UCAS application tomorrow. But I'm anxious about my Maths result. In the Mechanics exam, I made a silly mistake. That's why I got 89%. I have Further Maths too which I'll take in A2. Is it still possible for me to get into Cambridge? What do I need to do now?
Reply 1
I think that isnt enough. My school told people to only consider applying with 95% or higher. But yeah, you go ahead and try buddy. You never know till you try.
Original post by ifahad64
Hi,
I took CIE IALs (AS Level) this summer and received my results yesterday. Here are my PUMs (Percentage Uniform Marks):

Physics - 94% (A)
Chemistry - 91% (A)
Biology - 91% (A)
Maths - 89% (A)

I want to apply to Cambridge Nat. Sci. (Physical) this year. I'll start working on my UCAS application tomorrow. But I'm anxious about my Maths result. In the Mechanics exam, I made a silly mistake. That's why I got 89%. I have Further Maths too which I'll take in A2. Is it still possible for me to get into Cambridge? What do I need to do now?

If your predicted meets their entry requirements... you'll have a chance. Your AS scores are fine. Do well on the NSAA and interviews (if at that stage) etc... and it will increase your chances of getting an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helium2
I think that isnt enough. My school told people to only consider applying with 95% or higher. But yeah, you go ahead and try buddy. You never know till you try.

Your school is wrong. But your advice is better. 😀
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Your school is wrong. But your advice is better. 😀

I lost only 8 marks in maths (117/125). But due to ridiculously high grade boundary and the way PUM is calculated, I got 89%. I'm suffering from depression now. I really wanted to study in Cambridge but now it looks like I'm just a below average candidate who's likely to be rejected.
FFS apply and find out

" oh my Lord! i got 90% across my exams but i dont row and my dad isn't a front bencher in parliament, do i still have a feasible chance of going to Cambridge? i know you'll say to apply but ITS ONLY 90%"

urgh....self righteous nonsense
Reply 6
Original post by Oruese
FFS apply and find out

" oh my Lord! i got 90% across my exams but i dont row and my dad isn't a front bencher in parliament, do i still have a feasible chance of going to Cambridge? i know you'll say to apply but ITS ONLY 90%"

urgh....self righteous nonsense

89% =/= 90%.
Original post by ifahad64
89% =/= 90%.

The process is holistic. There isn't a certain threshold percentage at AS that you need to get over at AS to have a chance. You need to do well at interview and the NSAA. So stop worrying about it and apply because there's no way of knowing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending