The Student Room Group

not sure about uni start date???

so Freshers week is the week starting the 17th of September. The course timetable shows lessons starting the following week, beginning the 24th. The first lesson isn't until Tuesday the 25th.

I'm not sure when it is that they want me to come in. On the taster day they said words to the effect of "Freshers week is when we're going to get to know you and make sure you know what you need for the course", which to me and another applicant implied that the lessons would be running then, as intro lessons for the course.

I'm commuting from home, and it's a half hour train ride at 10 quid for a return, so I'd rather go in when they actually expect me, rather than unnecessarily.

I could turn up on the Monday, but they might just say to me that there's not much for me to do since my stuff is a Tuesday start.
Reply 1
would just ring up and ask, but worried they might have already mentioned it and I just haven't heard and I don't want to look like an idiot
I would ring and ask closer to the time as they won't have sorted out timetabling just yet. They will probably upload the timetable online as well so you'll be able to check then.
Reply 3
Original post by bones-mccoy
I would ring and ask closer to the time as they won't have sorted out timetabling just yet. They will probably upload the timetable online as well so you'll be able to check then.

They have put up the timetable. It says the first class is on Tuesday but the general message I got from emails and open days is that Freshers week is beginning Monday. Can you just turn up to Freshers week whenever?
If you're commuting you basically need additional effort in making friends. Not going to freshers would be a disaster. I'd advise going to multiple society tasters.
Original post by Anonymous
so Freshers week is the week starting the 17th of September. The course timetable shows lessons starting the following week, beginning the 24th. The first lesson isn't until Tuesday the 25th.

I'm not sure when it is that they want me to come in. On the taster day they said words to the effect of "Freshers week is when we're going to get to know you and make sure you know what you need for the course", which to me and another applicant implied that the lessons would be running then, as intro lessons for the course.

I'm commuting from home, and it's a half hour train ride at 10 quid for a return, so I'd rather go in when they actually expect me, rather than unnecessarily.

I could turn up on the Monday, but they might just say to me that there's not much for me to do since my stuff is a Tuesday start.

Definitely contact the course. They may have an introductory session during freshers week for you to attend which they did on mine! That would introduce the course structure, assessments etc and some of the staff as well.
They have put up the timetable. It says the first class is on Tuesday but the general message I got from emails and open days is that Freshers week is beginning Monday. Can you just turn up to Freshers week whenever?

Yeah, pretty much. You can turn up to no events or go to absolutely all of them, it's down to you. The course stuff will just be introductory lectures etc.
Reply 7

There is likely to be a separate timetable of freshers week events. Some will be compulsory (for example, registration with the university); some will be strongly recommended; others will be completely optional. You should get this timetable in advance of freshers week.

You'll almost certainly have a session welcoming you to your course; that would seem to be an ideal opportunity to ask questions like "do I need to come in on days when I have no teaching" and get an official answer.

It's just possible that the teaching timetable will change; so you probably shouldn't assume that you won't have any Monday commitments just because (so far) you haven't got any. Some things (like allocation to seminar groups) might not have happened yet.

Also, if you're commuting by train, check to see if you can save money by investing in a railcard or getting a season ticket etc. If your timetabble works out, some days you might be able to travel in off-peak and save money that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending