The Student Room Group

Computer science at Lancaster?

Hi,
I just have a few questions regarding the Computer Science BSc at Lancaster University. I am predicted AAB, in chemistry, physics and English literature, so I should be considered for the course (as it does not have any subject specific entry requirements). I was just wondering as to whether or not the course does not have any entry requirements because the maths is far less advanced compared to other courses that require maths, or simply because they are willing to teach you the maths needed in extra seminars. I am also interested in possibly pursuing postgraduate physics/ mathematical sciences, so I really need a course that has a similar content of maths that other prestigious universities have in their Computer science degrees. Also, another question I have is regarding coursework; apparently the degree is made up of roughly 65% coursework- which seems an awful lot. Is this typical of computer science degree's, or will the fact that my degree is not entirely dependent on exams affect my chances of applying for postgraduate masters such as the ones I listed above.
HI there

I've just finished the 3 year Computer Science BSc at Lancaster, and will be starting an MRes there in October.

Lancaster has a lower maths content as part of it's course compared to other universities, as you can tell by the lack of a maths requirement.

In terms of coursework:exam ratio I'd say this ratio is pretty standard, although I've never calculated the ratio myself. In 2nd and 3rd year the majority of modules are 60% exam, although some modules, such as the dissertation module and similar are 100% coursework. This ratio will not affect the chances of getting onto postgrad masters.
Original post by Takeonme44
Hi,
I just have a few questions regarding the Computer Science BSc at Lancaster University. I am predicted AAB, in chemistry, physics and English literature, so I should be considered for the course (as it does not have any subject specific entry requirements). I was just wondering as to whether or not the course does not have any entry requirements because the maths is far less advanced compared to other courses that require maths, or simply because they are willing to teach you the maths needed in extra seminars. I am also interested in possibly pursuing postgraduate physics/ mathematical sciences, so I really need a course that has a similar content of maths that other prestigious universities have in their Computer science degrees. Also, another question I have is regarding coursework; apparently the degree is made up of roughly 65% coursework- which seems an awful lot. Is this typical of computer science degree's, or will the fact that my degree is not entirely dependent on exams affect my chances of applying for postgraduate masters such as the ones I listed above.

Hi there, :smile:

I'm Rebecca, one of the Student Ambassadors at Lancaster University, where I currently study Marketing Management.

Although I am not on the same course as you intend to study I can give you more of an insight into life at Lancaster University, so if you have any questions then please get in touch.

Have you visited an Open Day at Lancaster University yet? If not, I would highly recommend doing so. I found this really beneficial in order to make sure I chose the right University and course for me as you will be able to find out more information about your course through talks delivered by lectures and speak to current students on your specific course. You will therefore get more in depth information about your course and have the opportunity to enquire about possible postgraduate studies too. Our next Open Days are on Saturday 1st and 15th September 2018.

If you cannot attend, then maybe contact your department at [email protected] who should be able to give you more details including the maths content of your degree. They may also be able to put you in touch with a current Computer Science Student.

I hope this has been helpful, as I said if you have any questions about Lancaster University then please get in touch :thumbsup:

Good luck with your studies and hope to see you at Lancaster University soon!

Rebecca
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending