Tusman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have just got my GCSE's results and i didn't get the required grades to get into A levels Sciences. I got level 5 in Maths, Physics, History, B in Media studies, C in resistant materials, Level 4 in RE, Eng Lang & Lit. I really wanted to do a career in engineering, electrical and now may have to consider doing a BTEC level 3. I can however get into A levels for Humanities subjects. Please advice as i'm not sure on which path is best as there is stigma attached to Btec's?
lexiwilliamz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want to got to uni you should do A levels or IB. If not do whatever you want
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tusman)
I have just got my GCSE's results and i didn't get the required grades to get into A levels Sciences. I got level 5 in Maths, Physics, History, B in Media studies, C in resistant materials, Level 4 in RE, Eng Lang & Lit. I really wanted to do a career in engineering, electrical and now may have to consider doing a BTEC level 3. I can however get into A levels for Humanities subjects. Please advice as i'm not sure on which path is best as there is stigma attached to Btec's?
Some universities will accept btecs , if you can do a level maths somehow that would improve your chances.
DCP0
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are there any other sixth forms or colleges which will take you to study the a levels you wish? I would look around for that. Some universities will take you for BTEC, but it is worth looking around and doing some research to which you would want to go to.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
BTEC Engineering will be fine to get you into uni to study Electronic/Electrical Engineering.

Some of the top unis will require A level Maths, but many will accept the 2 BTEC maths for engineers modules in place of Maths A level. Check that the course has these 2 maths modules first though, and if not, enquire to check about self studying for them.

Hope this helps
Tusman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
BTEC Engineering will be fine to get you into uni to study Electronic/Electrical Engineering.

Some of the top unis will require A level Maths, but many will accept the 2 BTEC maths for engineers modules in place of Maths A level. Check that the course has these 2 maths modules first though, and if not, enquire to check about self studying for them.

Hope this helps
thank you
Spratty
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
BTEC's are perfectly fine, nothing wrong with them. They will get you into most universities. I did a BTEC in Computing, and nobody has said anything negative about them to me, nor have I heard anything negative attached to BTEC's, apart from on this website. You should do a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma related to Engineering- this will be more than enough to get you onto 90% of engineering courses at universities, and it is equivalent to taking three A-Levels.

However, if you want to go to the best of the best universities (Top 15), then you should take A-Levels. There isn't a large difference in courses with slightly lower ranked universities, and if you're only taking A-Levels so that you can go to a 'prestigious' university, you're doing it wrong.

Could also do a mixture of BTEC and A-level, such as doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, and A-Level Maths or whatever. It is another viable option that imo is a lot easier and will still get you into the top universities.
Last edited by Spratty; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.13%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (384)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.2%

Watched Threads