The Student Room Group

A Levels v BTEC

I have just got my GCSE's results and i didn't get the required grades to get into A levels Sciences. I got level 5 in Maths, Physics, History, B in Media studies, C in resistant materials, Level 4 in RE, Eng Lang & Lit. I really wanted to do a career in engineering, electrical and now may have to consider doing a BTEC level 3. I can however get into A levels for Humanities subjects. Please advice as i'm not sure on which path is best as there is stigma attached to Btec's?
If you want to got to uni you should do A levels or IB. If not do whatever you want
Original post by Tusman
I have just got my GCSE's results and i didn't get the required grades to get into A levels Sciences. I got level 5 in Maths, Physics, History, B in Media studies, C in resistant materials, Level 4 in RE, Eng Lang & Lit. I really wanted to do a career in engineering, electrical and now may have to consider doing a BTEC level 3. I can however get into A levels for Humanities subjects. Please advice as i'm not sure on which path is best as there is stigma attached to Btec's?

Some universities will accept btecs , if you can do a level maths somehow that would improve your chances.
Reply 3
Are there any other sixth forms or colleges which will take you to study the a levels you wish? I would look around for that. Some universities will take you for BTEC, but it is worth looking around and doing some research to which you would want to go to.
Reply 4
BTEC Engineering will be fine to get you into uni to study Electronic/Electrical Engineering.

Some of the top unis will require A level Maths, but many will accept the 2 BTEC maths for engineers modules in place of Maths A level. Check that the course has these 2 maths modules first though, and if not, enquire to check about self studying for them.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by yt7777
BTEC Engineering will be fine to get you into uni to study Electronic/Electrical Engineering.

Some of the top unis will require A level Maths, but many will accept the 2 BTEC maths for engineers modules in place of Maths A level. Check that the course has these 2 maths modules first though, and if not, enquire to check about self studying for them.

Hope this helps :smile:

thank you
Reply 6
BTEC's are perfectly fine, nothing wrong with them. They will get you into most universities. I did a BTEC in Computing, and nobody has said anything negative about them to me, nor have I heard anything negative attached to BTEC's, apart from on this website. You should do a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma related to Engineering- this will be more than enough to get you onto 90% of engineering courses at universities, and it is equivalent to taking three A-Levels.

However, if you want to go to the best of the best universities (Top 15), then you should take A-Levels. There isn't a large difference in courses with slightly lower ranked universities, and if you're only taking A-Levels so that you can go to a 'prestigious' university, you're doing it wrong.

Could also do a mixture of BTEC and A-level, such as doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, and A-Level Maths or whatever. It is another viable option that imo is a lot easier and will still get you into the top universities.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending