The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to love a different language and culture?

Okay, I am 15 years old and from Northern Ireland..
I absolutely hate (hate isn't even a strong enough word) where I am from and I am moving to Hawai'i once I finish this school year which is my last year of GCSEs
Seems pretty normal...
I just want to know if it is disrespectful to learn a different language (Hawaiian) and be more connected to Polynesian culture than my own?
For example... when I move to Hawai'i would native Hawaiians find me weird / disrespectful for singing and speaking in their language or just taking part in anything classed as "Polynesian"
I have a youtube where I sing in Hawaiian // translate Disney songs into Hawaiian am I weird?
I don't want to be disrespectful.. but I absolutely love their culture and want to check it's alright to be connected to it although I am not naturally from there however I will live there in 10 months
I am a double citizen and lived in 3 countries so far, in each country I lived in, I learned the language, the culture and fit right it with everyone else. No one ever found it disrespectful, they were happy and encouraging that I learned their language and that I was interested in learning about the culture, so defo do your thing.

Where you were born is just that, a place where you happened to be born at, what culture and what language you're into and you feel more close to it's entirely your decision.
thats not always the case tho. i went to an international boarding school, and we were all quite happy to share our traditions and culture but many people would get super defensive if someone would appropriate someone else's culture, eg. hair extensions and braids. always best to check and ask your future friends.
Original post by reachmore
I am a double citizen and lived in 3 countries so far, in each country I lived in, I learned the language, the culture and fit right it with everyone else. No one ever found it disrespectful, they were happy and encouraging that I learned their language and that I was interested in learning about the culture, so defo do your thing.

Where you were born is just that, a place where you happened to be born at, what culture and what language you're into and you feel more close to it's entirely your decision.
Most of the time natives of a country want people to fit in with their culture. In England many people dislike immigrants because they dont adopt the English culture or learn the language, so.

No i wouldnt say it was disrespectful - i’d say it’swhat they probably would want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending