The Student Room Group

Higher Administration and IT 2018-19

Hi everyone, this is a thread for anyone doing Higher Admin this year. You can ask questions, give advice or anything Higher Admin related.

So who’s doing it this year? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Just wanted to say that if anyone encounters any problems with Higher Admin, let me know! When I was in S5, I achieved an A, and I would be happy to help anyone!

Good Luck!
Hello, I am currently in S4 and I take Nat 5 Computing Science which I plan to take further. The trouble is I am dropping four subjects which leaves me having to either take Nat 5s and crashing Higher. I would really like to Crash because then I would feel like theirs no point in even taking them.
I guess my question is. How easy is it to crash Admin & IT? Would you reccomend it? and what is the course like? What kind of things do you learn?
Original post by agirlcalledtheo
Hello, I am currently in S4 and I take Nat 5 Computing Science which I plan to take further. The trouble is I am dropping four subjects which leaves me having to either take Nat 5s and crashing Higher. I would really like to Crash because then I would feel like theirs no point in even taking them.
I guess my question is. How easy is it to crash Admin & IT? Would you reccomend it? and what is the course like? What kind of things do you learn?

Computing science is a very different course to admininstration and IT, so I would make sure that you're going to enjoy the course first. Higher admin is regarded as a 'crashable' subjects, however I'd check with the admin teachers in your school before taking it :smile: Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by agirlcalledtheo

Hi, I’m currently crashing Higher Admin (having never done Nat 5 before) and so far I found it quite easy. In Higher Admin, we learn about theory such as the role of an admin assistant, effective teams, meetings etc as well as the practical side of the course which involves going on a computer and doing e-diaries, word documents, PowerPoints, spreadsheets etc. The theory to me is just common sense majority of the time and the practical should be fine once you know what you’re doing. I have never done Nat 5 Computing Science before but I would recommend doing Admin at Higher if you believe in yourself and practice the practical and theory bits until you get it. Definitely ask the teacher for help if you don’t understand it at any point!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Hi, yes I am doing Higher Admin I need a little bit of help in how to revise for theory. I am crashing higher Admin. Can someone, please give me demonstrations in how to answer the questions. I am not too worried about the practical as I think I did okay in that. The reason why I am confused is see whenever, I look at the marking scheme's for the theory questions they are very vague and I am unsure if that is all I need to write?
Original post by Piplup7
Hi everyone, this is a thread for anyone doing Higher Admin this year. You can ask questions, give advice or anything Higher Admin related.

Original post by Pearls1
Hi, yes I am doing Higher Admin I need a little bit of help in how to revise for theory. I am crashing higher Admin. Can someone, please give me demonstrations in how to answer the questions. I am not too worried about the practical as I think I did okay in that. The reason why I am confused is see whenever, I look at the marking scheme's for the theory questions they are very vague and I am unsure if that is all I need to write?

How's everyone getting on now that exams are getting pretty close? :eek:
Reply 7
Original post by Labrador99
How's everyone getting on now that exams are getting pretty close? :eek:

I think for admin I’m doing fine. I felt quite confident for the practical so here’s hoping that theory will turn out well too! :smile:
Original post by Piplup7
I think for admin I’m doing fine. I felt quite confident for the practical so here’s hoping that theory will turn out well too! :smile:

Great to hear! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Pearls1

My teacher told me that the best way to get the most marks possible is by looking at the first word of the question i.e. compare, discuss etc. To get marks for compare questions for example, you have to do one comparison per mark (either saying why the two things are similar or different, you can do both similarities and differences if you wanted to). Outline questions, for example, means that you have to briefly state the answers you write like a few words. 1 mark per accurate statement.

I do agree that the marking scheme can be vague at times but if you have done Business Management before, knowing how to answer the questions for Admin theory is considered to be similar to Business Management in terms of “command words”.

I might be wrong but I think discuss questions is when you could write advantages and/or disadvantages related to the question. If it was worth 4 marks, you can put 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages or 3 and 1. It has to definitely be an element of discussion in there which is more than naming something in one word. (1 mark per discussion point)

Justify questions are when you have to state why something is done in the question (giving a reason in other words), development points can be given in these questions and it’s one mark per justification made.

Describe questions are quite straightforward in the sense that you can make a straightforward factual point worth 1 mark and you can also get extra marks for developing your points effectively.

Hope this helps and good luck with your exam when the time comes! 😊
I'm crashing this next year I think it's possible as I already do Business Management.
Reply 11
Anyone taking higher admin!? my theory paper is a week today, I know the basics and my teacher has said to me that I know everything but just when I'm stressed I need a push then it clicks in my head (it's strange...) but anyway! I'm starting to really stress out! I feel like I'm going to forget everything when I get into the exam...
Original post by RG250
Anyone taking higher admin!? my theory paper is a week today, I know the basics and my teacher has said to me that I know everything but just when I'm stressed I need a push then it clicks in my head (it's strange...) but anyway! I'm starting to really stress out! I feel like I'm going to forget everything when I get into the exam...

Merged with the main Higher Admin thread- there's a few people here doing the exam next week :smile:
Reply 13
Merged with the main Higher Admin thread- there's a few people here doing the exam next week :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Piplup7

I am! I'm really struggling with the legislation bit...

Spoiler

Hope that the exam goes well for you all tomorrow :smile:
Reply 16
Thank you so much! :smile:

Spoiler

Hope that the exam goes well for you all tomorrow :smile:
Reply 17
Good luck everyone :smile:
Good luck guys! You'll all smash it (:
Reply 19
Good luck everyone! I’m sure you’ll all do great!! :smile: