The Student Room Group

How should I best revise for higher french gcse (with a terrible teacher)

So I'm going to be starting year 11 next week and one of my biggest concerns is French. This is because I did fantastically in previous years getting 8s and 9s but now I've pretty much stagnated with an awful teacher throughout year 10 and dropping to a 5/6 level. This ineffective teaching makes me think that it is probably best for me to start revising now (and teaching myself half the course) but is this the best thing to do? and if so how should I go about it?

Cheers
Reply 1
Dont worry, there is still enough time to turn things around. I got a grade 5 in my mock exam for French but managed to get a grade 9 in the actual exam as I started to revise quite a lot. I did 20-30 past papers including the specimen papers the exam boards provide. It's also useful to do the specimen papers from different exam boards as this will still help. You should also buy a CGP revision guide and print out a list of all the keywords your exam board wants you know. This can be found on the exam board's specification. As you do more and more past papers you will spot certain phrases that keep being repeated. For example, AQA likes to use j'en ai marre de (I am fed up of) quite a lot. Also try to practice writing questions under timed conditions and give them to your teacher to mark. I hope this helps.
Memrise is so helpful I paid for the version that lets you do it without wifi and learnt words on the way to school. We also found common questions for speaking and wrote example paragraphs for them and learnt useful phrases.
Original post by JB150
Dont worry, there is still enough time to turn things around. I got a grade 5 in my mock exam for French but managed to get a grade 9 in the actual exam as I started to revise quite a lot. I did 20-30 past papers including the specimen papers the exam boards provide. It's also useful to do the specimen papers from different exam boards as this will still help. You should also buy a CGP revision guide and print out a list of all the keywords your exam board wants you know. This can be found on the exam board's specification. As you do more and more past papers you will spot certain phrases that keep being repeated. For example, AQA likes to use j'en ai marre de (I am fed up of) quite a lot. Also try to practice writing questions under timed conditions and give them to your teacher to mark. I hope this helps.

Thanks that was extremely helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending