The Student Room Group

I can't cook oatmeal even if my life depended on it

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperHuman98
oh ok i thought you had to add the oats first then add water then heat it. Btw when do you add milk? I accidentally added to much and this has turned into some type of oat drink lol.

Easiest way to make porridge/oatmeal is to get a cup/mug (can be a tea mug or an actual measuring cup - basically you just want an easy way to measure out how much you can/will/want to eat) then into a saucepan (or microwave safe bowl if you're cooking it in the microwave) you want 2×cups of oats, 1×cup of water, 1×cup of milk (optional is a pinch of salt) - simmer on a medium-low heat while stirring until it starts to bubble at which point if you want it thicker either turn the heat down low and put a lid on or put it in the oven at a low temperature for a few minutes. (To get thicker microwave porridge put less liquid in also experiment with how much time to microwave it for if it's overflowing at all).
Mix some mapel syrup into it just before eating for an easy way to make it sweeter :smile:
Original post by SuperHuman98
So I have started bulking again which means Oat meal and eggs for breakfast. I avoided buying the packet of quaker oatmeal because there is too much sugar.

I try cook oatmeal the proper way from those big bags and whenever I cook them on the hob they seem to mostly just stick to the bottom of the hob and I am following instructions lol.

Cook it in the microwave!
Put the oats in a microwaveable bowl. Add some milk until the bowl is about two-thirds full (allowing for the oatmeal to expand). Heat in the microwave on high for about 2-3 mins and add toppings to your liking - brown sugar, fruit etc. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest