The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
I applied this year and I've received an invitation for interview have you heard anything? :smile:
Reply 2
Hey, when did you apply? I applied end of September and was wondering how long it may take to hear back 😭😭
Reply 3
Hey I applied at the end of August I heard back a month later but it depends which uni you've put as your first choice. I think some shortlist faster than others. Good luck! 😊
Reply 4
Thanks for responding so fast. My first choice is Manchester, and yours? Good luck with the interview :smile:
Reply 5
Mine is as well, good luck I hope you hear something soon! If you're anxious it might be worth giving them a ring and ask when you'll expect to hear back. Thank you I just hope the interview goes well! 🙂
Hey all, I applied a few weeks ago too and I'm still waiting to hear back (fingers crossed!). Also, any idea what the funding in place is for the course??
Reply 7
Rachel that’s great :smile: woo! When is your interview taking place? Yeah I might do next week just to see where the process is at.

For Manchester, it’s self funded so would have to pay the tuition fees yourself. I know a lot of people just get a Careers Development Loan to try and cover some of it (also the University will give you £5000 travel bursary across the 2 years - which is split £2500 for each year). And omg good luck I hope we can both get an interview too :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Unfortunately funding is virtually non existent as tuition fees are no longer paid for. They're making all courses an MSc so you can apply for the £10,680 government postgraduate masters loan. This would cover first year fees and HEE give you a £5,000 travel bursary over the two years. You could try and save as much of the travel bursary as possible but second year tuition fees are basically self funded. I don't see how they expect people to afford it, I'll have to work at weekends and hope it won't affect my studying too much... 🙁 You can apply for the postgraduate career development loan and you can borrow between £300 and £10,000 the only problem is it works like a bank loan and you have to start paying it back a month after you finish studying regardless of your employment status. Good luck hope you hear something soon! 🙂
Omg more debt :eek:. I'm sure last year it was funded by NHS and before that they'd give a wage every year...I wonder what changed -.-
And Good luck to you tooo
Rachel I was told that at the moment this course is not eligible for Masters Loan with Student Finance because it has not been confirmed as a MSc. I know a lot of current PA students have taken a CDL this year and hope to get a Masters Loan for second year when (fingers crossed) they’ve confirmed it as a MSc.

The only time this course was funded by NHS was when it just got introduced as a degree, and from what I was told, the students were all over the place as they basically had no support or materials to help them study/find their lectures etc! (Sounded pretty hectic).

The whole funding issue is a down side but there are many ways you can get loans (sucks but would be worth it).
My interview is on the 31st, ah ok that's interesting I emailed Manchester and got told that they were hoping to do it before the course starts but maybe its delayed. I hope they manage it because I wouldn't be able to fund my first year without the loan... Thanks for that information 🙂
Aww! I hope so too. Just have to wait and see but focus on the interview. I’m sure you’ll be okay :smile:
I have an interview on the 1st on November really happy QM got back to me. I applied early September and they emailed me 5 days ago asking if I could attend the interview. Does anyone know what we will have to do in the interview?
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of applying for PA course with a first in BIomedical Science. Just worried about experience really. I’m currently working as an NHS biomedical scientist in Haematology and Transfusion. So I could use transferable skills there. Though, I do have more relevant experience in healthcare. E.g. I did paediatric phlebotomy as part of a placement and also worked as a care assistant for a few months. However these were over 2 years ago. Does the timeline matter when it comes to experience?
Reply 15
Hello! I have an interview on the 31st Oct! Excited but oh so nervous as well! How is everyone's preparation going??
Reply 16
Hey guys, I too have an interview on the 31st of October.

How is everyone preparing?
Original post by SHINeexo
Rachel that’s great :smile: woo! When is your interview taking place? Yeah I might do next week just to see where the process is at.

For Manchester, it’s self funded so would have to pay the tuition fees yourself. I know a lot of people just get a Careers Development Loan to try and cover some of it (also the University will give you £5000 travel bursary across the 2 years - which is split £2500 for each year). And omg good luck I hope we can both get an interview too :smile:

Career development loans are being stopped after January.
Reply 18
Original post by jmsrchrdsn
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of applying for PA course with a first in BIomedical Science. Just worried about experience really. I’m currently working as an NHS biomedical scientist in Haematology and Transfusion. So I could use transferable skills there. Though, I do have more relevant experience in healthcare. E.g. I did paediatric phlebotomy as part of a placement and also worked as a care assistant for a few months. However these were over 2 years ago. Does the timeline matter when it comes to experience?

Obviously the more recent experience the better but it doesn't sound like your situation would mean an auto rejection, you've got a good shot depending on your application/interview. I think if you focused on what you've learned about medical enviornments and haematology you could make it seem relevant and valuable. I'd give it a go and see what they say. If you are particularly worried you could try getting a bit more experience before applying if that's possible for you.
Reply 19
Did the interview today and its hard, good luck people

Latest