The Student Room Group

HELP!!! i can't get to university open days

I decided that I wanted to apply/ go to uni around 12 months ago. However, only told my mom 2 months ago. She refuses to drive me to open days due to the distance of travel. I don't have the money to spend on train tickets all the time as well as the travel/ train times are stupid sometimes 5 am or 6 am when leaving the station and then not returning until 9 pm or 10 pm of a night.

What should I do??? Was/is anyone else in this type of situation any suggestions, I'm open to any ideas
Have you tried looking at coach journeys? They are so much cheaper than taking the train.
If you have any friends going to open days by car you could always ask to go with them
Original post by Amy Beth xx
I decided that I wanted to apply/ go to uni around 12 months ago. However, only told my mom 2 months ago. She refuses to drive me to open days due to the distance of travel. I don't have the money to spend on train tickets all the time as well as the travel/ train times are stupid sometimes 5 am or 6 am when leaving the station and then not returning until 9 pm or 10 pm of a night.

What should I do??? Was/is anyone else in this type of situation any suggestions, I'm open to any ideas

See if you can go with friends/other students who are going to the same open days
Reply 3
[QUOTE="Trinculo;79751570"]See if you can go with friends/other students who are going to the same open days[/QUOTE

thanks for the advice, unfortunately, everyone else I know works on a Saturday, I used to but was recently made redundant hence why the biggest issue is the travel costs. I'm slowly starting to run out of money to fund my travel costs and basic living, I try and do as much as I can on my own because my mom is a single parent of 2. I am currently waiting to hear back from an interview for another job. But by the time I do and potentially start working/ getting paid opens days season will be basically over. My friend has suggested that I go to one or two open days of unis I really like the look of and then fill my last 3 choices with others that I heavily research over the internet to reduce the danger of leaving it to chance but in my eyes that still is a major risk seeing as most of them will be requiring me to move away from home
Have you tried looking on unis websites for virtual tours or even virtual open days? Admittedly it's not the same as visiting but it should give you a better idea than nothing at all if you can't get there.
Also talk to people who have been to the open days, see what they thought. And obviously research as thoroughly as you can online :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by blackvoid17
Have you tried looking at coach journeys? They are so much cheaper than taking the train.
If you have any friends going to open days by car you could always ask to go with them

yes, I use the train line to book tickets they also show coaches, but coaches can also be a problem with timings. I also live in Birmingham while not the most difficult city to leave/get to and around getting to the coach station at certain times can be hard because I myself am restricted to public transport ( not the most reliable at the best of times)
Reply 6
Regarding travel I'd have a look at Megabus :smile: It's often cheaper than national express or taking a train and if you have an NUS card will be even cheaper. If you can't make it to the Universities, many of them do online tours where you can see the facilities and of course you can phone up the universities to get more information regarding the courses that you are interested in. If you are from a low income family, then talk to your college because they may be able to help you out even if you are already receiving a college bursary (If you aren't receiving the bursary, have a look into it).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Lemur14
Have you tried looking on unis websites for virtual tours or even virtual open days? Admittedly it's not the same as visiting but it should give you a better idea than nothing at all if you can't get there.
Also, talk to people who have been to the open days, see what they thought. And obviously research as thoroughly as you can online :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you so much i'll definitely check that out :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by SallinaB
Regarding travel I'd have a look at Megabus :smile: It's often cheaper than national express or taking a train and if you have an NUS card will be even cheaper. If you can't make it to the Universities, many of them do online tours where you can see the facilities and of course you can phone up the universities to get more information regarding the courses that you are interested in. If you are from a low income family, then talk to your college because they may be able to help you out even if you are already receiving a college bursary (If you aren't receiving the bursary, have a look into it).

thank you for the advise i'll look into mega bus because i had forgotten they existed tbh
I've gone from London to Manchester for £4 before. It's not that expensive if you book way in advance tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending