The Student Room Group

Why dont energy drinks work on me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StriderHort
The caffeine in tea and coffee works differently on you, tea tends to be mellower and longer lasting, coffee is more of a brute force kick, with massively strong blends available :smile:

None of these things are magic potions, past a point caffeine makes you feel increasingly grimy and wired, not prodcutive.

Tea doesn’t give me any energy at all. I love it cause it tastes good
Original post by PJNolen
Drink a large cold glass of water instead.

I drink cold water all the time
I’ll try the coffee I have now first and I’ll try that out :smile: thank you
Original post by GlockInmyRari
I prefer unsweetened. But adding sugar and milk is okay as long as you don't add too much sugar.

Ok thanks. What does it mean when it says strength 3?
Reply 24
Original post by GotASecret
I only had like two sips of each and it’s only 2. Well tbh I didn’t drink redbull today. So 2.

Why would you expect an energy boost from drinking two sips of a drink?
Original post by Notnek
Why would you expect an energy boost from drinking two sips of a drink?

Ok well I drank more than that. Maybe 4 big sips. I know it’s not good for my diabetes but I’m kinda desperate right now. Now I’m trying coffee and I’ll wait 20 mins for it to sink in otherwise I’m gonna be upset all day
Ok thanks. What does it mean when it says strength 3?

I don't know. Where does it say that? I'm guessing it's the strength of the coffee. It will have a stronger taste and contain more caffeine. If it's your first cup of coffee ever, you probably wouldn't like too strong coffee. It's probably 3 out of 5. In that case it should be fine.
Reply 27
Ok well I drank more than that. Maybe 4 big sips. I know it’s not good for my diabetes but I’m kinda desperate right now. Now I’m trying coffee and I’ll wait 20 mins for it to sink in otherwise I’m gonna be upset all day

Why do you have low energy? I think you should speak to your GP to get some advice. Drinking four energy drinks when you have diabetes sounds like an extremely bad idea.
Original post by Notnek
Why do you have low energy? I think you should speak to your GP to get some advice. Drinking four energy drinks when you have diabetes sounds like an extremely bad idea.

There’s no point cause I’m not lacking in anything. I’ve had a blood test. Ok I’m lacking in vitamin D a little bit but I’m taking something for that. Tbh my diabetes isn’t poorly controlled and it won’t effect my blood sugars. I don’t know why I have low energy. I sleep for more than 8 hours.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ok coffee is doing nothing for me. What’s wrong with me...?
I don't know. Where does it say that? I'm guessing it's the strength of the coffee. It will have a stronger taste and contain more caffeine. If it's your first cup of coffee ever, you probably wouldn't like too strong coffee. It's probably 3 out of 5. In that case it should be fine.

It says that on the coffee jar thing. Well it didnt work for me so I know there has to be something wrong with me!
It says that on the coffee jar thing. Well it didnt work for me so I know there has to be something wrong with me!

Naw don't worry. Just because caffeine doesn't work for you, doesn't mean there is something wrong with you.
Naw don't worry. Just because caffeine doesn't work for you, doesn't mean there is something wrong with you.

but nothing works. not water, not sleep:frown: I can’t focus on my work
but nothing works. not water, not sleep:frown: I can’t focus on my work

Oh that sucks. I have that too sometimes.

Have you tried music? Often when i can't focus i put on my headphones and listen to the same song on repeat. I pick a song that i know really well, cause then it doesn't distract me. Sometimes it works and helps me to not get distracted for hours.

I don't know what work you have to do, so i don't know if this is an option, but i also tend to focus more easily late at night.
Oh that sucks. I have that too sometimes.

Have you tried music? Often when i can't focus i put on my headphones and listen to the same song on repeat. I pick a song that i know really well, cause then it doesn't distract me. Sometimes it works and helps me to not get distracted for hours.

I don't know what work you have to do, so i don't know if this is an option, but i also tend to focus more easily late at night.

Music only works when I already understand the work and I’m just copying something from a book. But it doesn’t work when I’m trying to understand something and learn. Unfortunately!

oh I just fall asleep at night :frown: and say I’ll just do it tomorrow morning but never do
What does?

What works for me? Nothing lol, and I can't drink coffee so I am yet to find anything that does.

Original post by Grade A
I heard that being 'sugar high' doesn't exist and that it's simply a placebo effect.

Makes sense, maybe people are just so happy to be eating sweet things that they mistake their own enthusiasm for sugar-induced highs. :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest