The Student Room Group

Bath Uni Psychology

I was looking at the entry requirements for Bath Uni and they say they prefer a ‘natural’ science and a social science. Do I stand any chance of getting in with A levels in Psychology, Classical Civilisation, History and English Language??- so I lack the natural science. Also an EPQ on euthanasia??
(edited 5 years ago)
They just indicate they "prefer" those subjects, it isn't an explicit requirement (unlike I believe UCL who do explicitly require a science subject, although they count Psychology unlike Bath so it's a moot point in your case anyway). So it's certainly still in the realm of possibility, but probably would depend on the strength of the gathered field of applicants and how many of them meet those preferences vs only partially meet them.

Is there a reason you're taking 4 A-level subjects? Or is this for year 12 and you are going to drop one at the end of the year? There is little benefit to taking 4 subjects where two aren't Maths & FM, particularly where they are all essay based subjects anyway and thus develop the same skills (so a fourth such subject doesn't show the university you can do anything different to if you only were taking three subjects...). If you are only starting year 12, you might want to consider swapping one of those subjects for a STEM subject (for example, Biology or Maths) or perhaps planning a more experimental EPQ (which you might be able to then discuss in your personal statement in a way that demonstrates it meets the "analytical" skills Bath are looking for).

If you are going into year 13 this year, I'd probably suggest dropping one of the 4 and just focusing on 3 core subjects, because you aren't gaining anything by taking 4 (you won't score "extra points" in admissions for taking another subject) and you risk spreading yourself too thin when preparing for your final exams and missing the grades you want/need. No university or course requires 4 subjects where 3 would suffice, although a few may prefer a FM as a 4th for example, and AABC (or even AABB) is strictly worse than AAA or A*AA where it counts. Beyond that there is little else you can do to improve your odds at Bath so you just need to focus on getting the best grades possible (which realistically means taking 3 subjects unless you aren't allowed to for some reason).
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest