The Student Room Group

Shut down unis outside the top 40, and BBB should be the minimum

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shakespeareson
A private acting and drama teacher that required a drama degree for the post... and yes first year out of uni! Point is, i couldnt have got that job without going to uni

Everyone asks for degrees nowadays that they are worth nothing especially in Mickey Mouse subjects like drama
Original post by Bidachanee
Everyone asks for degrees nowadays that they are worth nothing especially in Mickey Mouse subjects like drama

A job that requires a drama degree because it is specifically for privately teaching the theory and application of Drama? 😂😂
Reply 382
Hi

When I left school in 1984 it was roughly 1 in 7 that went to university. I would say that in general that person was VERY academically driven. Less university options were available and in the main the subjects were choices that delivered significant commercial advantage.

Last year, I believe the ratio was 1 in 3 with a massive number of options with a high percentage of subjects that delivered zero commercial advantage imo.

I can see where the OP is coming from, not sure about the execution of the plan but it’s clear to me that something needs to be done. Unfortunately, a degree as a currency has imo been devalued due to so many being given out to students of very low academic ability, this needs to change in order to make degrees more valuable imo

LSD
Original post by Audrey18
if you shut down the unis outside of the top 40 then where are people from bangladesh, india, sri lanka, pakistan, poland, bulgaria and romania going to apply to? Many of the students from these countries want to come to the UK and join their families who are already in UK and eventually get citizenship. So they apply to a foundation course at the unis outside of the top 40, get the student visa, attend school for a few months or so and then disappear.

If the UK had a strong prime minister or a strong Home Secretary then they would have clamp down on these nonsense. But UK doesn't have credible people in the top positions in government. So the show must go on.

Students from Romania, Poland and Bulgaria don't need visas to live or study here, and neither do I lol. The rest, you are right about.
Original post by Shakespeareson
A private acting and drama teacher that required a drama degree for the post... and yes first year out of uni! Point is, i couldnt have got that job without going to uni

You also have picked up when 'have' is more appropriate than 'of', too!
Original post by LsDad
Hi

When I left school in 1984 it was roughly 1 in 7 that went to university. I would say that in general that person was VERY academically driven. Less university options were available and in the main the subjects were choices that delivered significant commercial advantage.

Last year, I believe the ratio was 1 in 3 with a massive number of options with a high percentage of subjects that delivered zero commercial advantage imo.

I can see where the OP is coming from, not sure about the execution of the plan but it’s clear to me that something needs to be done. Unfortunately, a degree as a currency has imo been devalued due to so many being given out to students of very low academic ability, this needs to change in order to make degrees more valuable imo

LSD

Sure, my delivery was blunt to attract 'participants' to this debate. I believe certain degrees offered by the lower-ranked institutions are more suited to apprenticeship/vocational qualifications, and it's evident degrees in hair, beauty, fashion, hospitality etc do not exist as degrees in many other countries due to proper and well-established other forms of further education already in place.

There is absolutely no denying that there has been a devaluation of completing a degree, it no longer makes you stand out.
Original post by precon333
The 'nonsense' is deliberate. Britain has a ZOG.

None of the countries mentioned has Judaism as the state religion, most are either Muslim or Christian. Not sure what your point is.
lol considering people are getting into highly skilled work from those unis you have suggested to shut down

Spoiler

Kind of stupid, You can't really make that sort of decision if you don't know what others will think about it. I mean if you did get AAA then it would not really affect you at all, It is always like this. Imagine if you were one of the people who got CCC and this happened, anyone can think of an idea where it does not affect them in a bad way and think that is a great idea.
Original post by Forecast
The final exam for the first year probability course at Manchester, January 2013: http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/media/eps/schoolofmathematics/study/undergraduate/informationforcurrentstudents/pastexampapers/MATH10141.pdf

The final exam for the first year probability course at Cambridge, June 2013: https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.maths.cam.ac.uk/files/pre2014/undergrad/pastpapers/2013/ia/PaperIA_2.pdf

Decide for yourself...

Original post by Princepieman
Again, you can't be serious.. The same patterns would hold for pretty much every module between the two. Not to mention the whole "alpha" based marking system that Cambridge Maths has.

There are some things J-SP, that you can't deny.. These are one of those things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The comparison is genuinely woeful though.

The Mathematics Tripos are 9 different courses split into 4 papers. You picked one covering differential equations and probability. There are more lecture hours dedicated to both units and the exam is 1 hour longer. Vastly changing the content they can cram into the exam.

Manchester first year maths is 8 different courses with 1 (or more) papers per course. Of course it'll be dispersed.

You can pick 2 unis of similar prestige and compare exams of the same units too. Some start slow in 1 year dedicating more focus to other units. Then completely overload you with information in the next 2-3. Some will be consistent. But first year will be especially different across unis. E.G I'm doing the same degree as a friend at a different RG Uni. We have covered Hydraulics in depth and had a (brutal) exam on it. They cover it too but missed out a ridiculous amount of important concepts. At the end of the day this still needs to be taught to them so you can expect them to be doing it, in addition to futher content, in 2nd/3rd years.

The best way to make the argument you've attempted is to compare the syllabus on final year units between unis. You'll find that if the degree is accredited, it's always pretty much the same.
(edited 5 years ago)
As someone who studied physics at a top 10 uni and dropped out to do a vocational course, I couldn't agree more. University degrees are completely devalued and in my opinion not worth the time or money. I know people that finished with DD As level and had an unconditional offer before finishing with even worse A2 grades. What is the point in lying to yourself and enrolling on a degree which originally was reserved for academics
Original post by questionnaire98
As someone who studied physics at a top 10 uni and dropped out to do a vocational course, I couldn't agree more. University degrees are completely devalued and in my opinion not worth the time or money. I know people that finished with DD As level and had an unconditional offer before finishing with even worse A2 grades. What is the point in lying to yourself and enrolling on a degree which originally was reserved for academics

This is kind of what I'm getting at tbh. Unconditional offers and uni places in general are handed out far too easily in a woeful attempt at getting bums on chairs, the whole system needs a revamp.
Original post by lawlietxtt
The comparison is genuinely woeful though.

The Mathematics Tripos are 9 different courses split into 4 papers. You picked one covering differential equations and probability. There are more lecture hours dedicated to both units and the exam is 1 hour longer. Vastly changing the content they can cram into the exam.

Manchester is 12 different courses with 1 (or more) papers each per course. Of course it'll be dispersed.

The probability exam I linked was for this module, which is a 22-hour lecture course. The equivalent Cambridge course on probability is a 24 x 50-minute lecture course, i.e. 20 hours, so actually there are fewer lecture hours. I'm not really sure why it's relevant that Differential Equations is in the same paper: the key point is that the questions are clearly of a much higher standard at Cambridge than Manchester. A good A-level student could easily pass the Manchester exam with 40-50% as long as they did the A-level stats modules, but they'd struggle to get any marks at all in the Tripos paper.

Original post by lawlietxtt

You can pick 2 unis of similar prestige and compare exams of the same units too. Some start slow in 1 year dedicating more focus to other units. Then completely overload you with information in the next 2-3. Some will be consistent. But first year will be especially different across unis. E.G I'm doing the same degree as a friend at a different RG Uni. We have covered Hydraulics in depth and had a (brutal) exam on it. They cover it too but missed out a ridiculous amount of important concepts. At the end of the day this still needs to be taught to them so you can expect them to be doing it in 2nd/3rd years. We have it again and hopefully will be taught at regular speeds.

The best way to make the argument you've attempted is to compare the syllabus on final year units between unis. You'll find that if the degree is accredited, it's always pretty much the same

The Cambridge maths course is not accredited. I'm also pretty sure that their third year course has a much larger amount of choice than nearly every other maths degree in the country: https://www-wp.maths.cam.ac.uk/documents/list_ii_2018.pdf/
Original post by Ihatespirometers
You talk of UCL as if it’s Oxbridge. It literally has such a high offer rate for most courses. Pipe down.

You're a prospective Bristol applicant love. Focus on getting into Bristol (which has spaces in clearing) before coming at UCL (which doesn't).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ak4753
You're a prospective Bristol applicant love. Focus on getting into Bristol first before coming at UCL.

Ngl, I have to agree with this.
Original post by Zaporizhia

Right? It's like being Musa and saying Mbappe isn't that great lmao
Original post by Ak4753
You're a prospective Bristol applicant love. Focus on getting into Bristol (which has spaces in clearing) before coming at UCL (which doesn't).

I’m not prospective. I already applied last year and received my offer which I firmed. Perhaps you should work on your deductive skills.

Considering I applied for Medicine and achieved 3 A*s and 1 A. I could almost certainly get into any course at UCL. I applied to Bristol because I preferred the course and the city not because I wasn’t capable as I far exceed any gcse or a level requirement that your uni offers.
Original post by Zaporizhia

Honestly have no words for your stupidity.
Original post by Ak4753
Right? It's like being Musa and saying Mbappe isn't that great lmao

In what way? Bristol offer places out like candies, most of their courses were in clearing. They offered me a place on their geography course (which requires A*AA) but I didn't accept, partly because I didn't want to study the subject. You'd rather I disagree? I also know someone that got accepted their with AAB for an A*AA course
Original post by Ihatespirometers
I’m not prospective. I already applied last year and received my offer which I firmed. Perhaps you should work on your deductive skills.

Considering I applied for Medicine and achieved 3 A*s and 1 A. I could almost certainly get into any course at UCL. I applied to Bristol because I preferred the course and the city not because I wasn’t capable as I far exceed any gcse or a level requirement that your uni offers.

Lol doesn't change the fact that by in large, every employer globally in every respective field respects UCL more than Bristol. Dumb decision imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending