The Student Room Group

Gap year and lonely

I decided to take a gap year because I wasn’t sure on my course. However all my closest friends have now started uni and I just feel alone and I’m finding it tough since they’ve all gone to unis which are 1+ hours away from home. I am low key regretting taking a gap yeat since I don’t like being at home with no one to go to for advice or just to chill out.
Any advice?2
get a job
fudge your friends. get 2 part time jobs. that should save enough money to pay off a good chunk of student debt.
Yep get a job. I'm on a gap year too, so if you want I could message ya if you need to talk through things. I personally find that uni isn't a massive deal because ultimately it's just partying you're missing out on. For me, that's not even fun anyways. Just gotta get started on your gap year.
Reply 4
Original post by yoyomynameis...
Yep get a job. I'm on a gap year too, so if you want I could message ya if you need to talk through things. I personally find that uni isn't a massive deal because ultimately it's just partying you're missing out on. For me, that's not even fun anyways. Just gotta get started on your gap year.

That would be great thanks for your help :smile:
Do you have set plans for the gap year? Like are you doing any work experience ect?
Original post by SB44336
That would be great thanks for your help :smile:

which platofrm would you like to talk on? Whatsapp, reddit, discord, facebook?
Original post by SB44336
I decided to take a gap year because I wasn’t sure on my course. However all my closest friends have now started uni and I just feel alone and I’m finding it tough since they’ve all gone to unis which are 1+ hours away from home. I am low key regretting taking a gap yeat since I don’t like being at home with no one to go to for advice or just to chill out.
Any advice?2

I can 100% sympathise, I took a gap year whilst my friends didn't. Whilst some stayed in my home city they were on intensive courses/ and or had plenty of competing interests for their time e.g. new friends, clubs and societies, part time jobs.

Whilst it might seem tough at the moment, do remember it is only a year and then you will be off to uni as well. Do see if you can go and visit them one weekend, if you have 5 friends at 5 different unis you could get 5 fun weekends away planned. Also if your friends come home for the holidays then they will really only be away for half the year as uni terms aren't all that long. And try and keep yourself busy.
This wasn't supposed to be a gap year for me (I thought I was done with education), but I'm pretty sure I'm going to apply for university next year, so it's definitely turned into a gap year, and I can completely relate to what you're saying. I have a friendship group that consists of me and four other girls, and they've all gone off to university. I work for myself, but I still feel incredibly lonely and like I'm missing out on something.

Your gap year is supposed to be something you use to have fun before you get your head down and get serious with things. Could you find a job so that you can save money, and then pay for the opportunity to go on one big, blow-out holiday before you start university next year? Could you start a blog about what you're doing in your gap year to meet new people that way?

Like someone else explained, you could also use this year for work experience. What do you want to go into? Find something surrounding that that you can volunteer at to help you with your studies next year.
Hi,
Firstly I get you- I'm in Italy au pairing, and although I love my job and am having an amazing experience, I am yet to make a friend. All my mates are off getting drunk and diving into uni work (well some of them are) and I'm a 2 hour flight away.
I decided that I was going to take a gap year and so I didn't apply to university. I then applied to a course that I wanted through clearing and got in (ngl, it has taken a lot of stress off me).
Definitely get a job, I don't really have any expenses here as au pairs get accommodation and food provided and so I am saving as much as I can whilst also planning to travel.
I would recommend travelling if you can, I spent my summer working and then travelling through the USA and Canada and it made me so much more independent and confident. If you can do something like this, it's a real eye-opener. I was never one of those girls who needed a group to go to the toilet with them, but I have definitely become more confident within myself.
Try and get a job where you can get at least some work experience relevant to what you want to do- I am studying children's nursing and so this year really showed my university interviewers that I was taking a worthwhile year out. A gap year is great, as long as you make something of it and can show the university that you are dedicated to the course you want to do!
Good luck!
Reply 10
Defiently get a job, do some voulnteering, learn to enjoy spending time alone, focus on making yourself better. You'll be glad!
I went straight to uni so I can't really speak.
But you've got a year of limited responsibilities!
Get a job, so you have money.
Volunteer in your area (meeting new people and it's good character building)
Learn new hobbies :smile: Writing, drawing, cooking, baking, running and so much more.
Travel (you don't even have to go international - go Devon for a day or something)
Keep busy, and make the most of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending