The Student Room Group

career change to physiotherapy

Hello,

I'm a law grad, graduated in July 2017, worked in a few finance/law firms since graduating. I've found it insanely boring and have now realised that i do not want a career in an office based job.

After suffering a sports injury, i have developed a real interest in physiotherapy. Does anyone have any advice in how to get into physiotherapy for someone that does not have a science based background. I would love to become a physiotherapist, however I am not very keen on going back to University for another 3 years, as i already have a student loan to pay back.

Any advice will be highly appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by student67934
Hello,

I'm a law grad, graduated in July 2017, worked in a few finance/law firms since graduating. I've found it insanely boring and have now realised that i do not want a career in an office based job.

After suffering a sports injury, i have developed a real interest in physiotherapy. Does anyone have any advice in how to get into physiotherapy for someone that does not have a science based background. I would love to become a physiotherapist, however I am not very keen on going back to University for another 3 years, as i already have a student loan to pay back.

Any advice will be highly appreciated

Doing a degree is currently the only way to become a physio, apprenticeships are in the works but I susspect this will be predominantly be offered to physio assistants. So you will have to go back to university, a 2 years masters course would probably suit you though. I know of people who have done engineering courses then physio as a masters, so it can be done.

The best thing you can do to get on is try to get some experience in healthcare/ physiotherapy and then nail the personal statement. Do not talk about sport whatsoever, many people come to physiotherapy with the same motivations as you (myself included), it is not looked upon positively during admissions as this is a very small part of what physiotherapy atually is. Focus more on healthcare and the NHS.

However the other areas of physiotherapy are all very interesting and great to work in, your intrest in the other areas will greatly expand if you do start the course, so dont be put off by the downplaying sport thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending