The Student Room Group

Reapplying when I have a place?

Hello,

I am posting this as I am not sure what else to do or who else to ask. I have had extensive discussions with my school's careers and higher education teachers, but still feel very lost, and think perhaps I need advice from people who don’t know me personally.

I am on a gap year currently and have a place to study at university next year at my firm choice. All is well and fine it would seem. However, I have become increasingly doubtful about the university- mostly because it is in the same city that I live in, and because I always envisaged going somewhere else by reapplication once I had received my grades. I was lucky to be let into my firm choice as whilst I did well in my A levels, I didn’t do amazingly.

However it also means that I couldn’t reapply to the university I have always had my sights on and now feel a bit stuck as I think I want to go somewhere else, but don’t think I’d get in anywhere else as good as my firm.

But I also don't think I would be happy there, and I have a good idea about these things and really don't want to get myself trapped in something I'm unhappy with.

I have the power until January to change this and get what I want and need, but if I pull out of my firm I have no assurance I will find anywhere more suitable and no assurance that I won’t regret the decision. What do you think I should do?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I am posting this as I am not sure what else to do or who else to ask. I have had extensive discussions with my school's careers and higher education teachers, but still feel very lost, and think perhaps I need advice from people who don’t know me personally.

I am on a gap year currently and have a place to study at university next year at my firm choice. All is well and fine it would seem. However, I have become increasingly doubtful about the university- mostly because it is in the same city that I live in, and because I always envisaged going somewhere else by reapplication once I had received my grades. I was lucky to be let into my firm choice as whilst I did well in my A levels, I didn’t do amazingly.

However it also means that I couldn’t reapply to the university I have always had my sights on and now feel a bit stuck as I think I want to go somewhere else, but don’t think I’d get in anywhere else as good as my firm.

But I also don't think I would be happy there, and I have a good idea about these things and really don't want to get myself trapped in something I'm unhappy with.

I have the power until January to change this and get what I want and need, but if I pull out of my firm I have no assurance I will find anywhere more suitable and no assurance that I won’t regret the decision. What do you think I should do?

Which uni?
What grades do you have and subjects?
What course?
What career do you want?

It would seem to me you have serious doubts?
Have you been to the open day for your deferred uni to see if they can assuage your doubts?

In most cases I would listen to my concerns and tell them you were having second thoughts about uni or studying from home and had decided to look around at a few other places or courses. They wont really care.

You should find somewhere else and at least you wont have regret. remember uni for some people works out but for some then uni away creates more issue and it can all be a bit rose tinted.

Its hard to say without the detail, but its your life, just do your research. If I have weighed the pros and cons up and its what I wanted then there would be no issue in exploring it to see whats out there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending