The Student Room Group

Question for heterosexual

Hypothetically speaking

Would you be offended if a colleague of you or classmate asks you “do you have a gf?”, without known that whether you are straight/gay...

Is it right to be offended when people automatically assume you are straight and asks you whether you have bf/gf (even though you are straight but they don’t know that }

Scroll to see replies

No

But I’ve been asked out before by a bi girl in school 😂😂
What's there to get offended about? Either they're right and that's fine, or they're wrong, and just made a mistake - big deal.
I'm a guy and if someone assumes I'm straight (I am but even if I wasn't still) then I wouldn't feel offended since it's normal to be straight.
Reply 4
no ffs it's not ****ing offensive, 90%+ of people are straight, get off your high horse and realise the world isn't gonna change for the minority. the fact that some people actually get offended over this is crazy
Well most of the population are straight so naturally you have to expect people to assume that.

Unless you go around with a pink hoody with a giant logo on the back saying “Want a BJ?” Then people are gonna assume you are straight.
Reply 6
Original post by YasudaSayo
no ffs it's not ****ing offensive, 90%+ of people are straight, get off your high horse and realise the world isn't gonna change for the minority. the fact that some people actually get offended over this is crazy

So you think it’s “over considerate to be more sensitive about asking such questions?
No, its more common to be straight and being a homosexual has only been accepted in society in the last couple of decades. Straight people don't have to come out, other sexual orientations do, thats just the way the world works at the moment. I think at some point society will be diverse and accepting enough that no one assumes a person is straight and everyone will have too come out, no matter their sexual orientation.
Reply 8
Original post by MathsLove
So you think it’s “over considerate to be more sensitive about asking such questions?

i said nothing of the sort lmao. all i said is that its crazy that people get offended that people assume you're part of the vast, vast majority. does that upset you? :wink:
Reply 9
i said nothing of the sort lmao. all i said is that its crazy that people get offended that people assume you're part of the vast, vast majority. does that upset you? :wink:

What if you actually asked a gay girl/boy ? Imagine.
Since they are minority they would feel that their sexual orientation denied it exist. It’s like living in a world where your identity is not recognised to be natural.
Reply 10
Since they are minority they would feel that their sexual orientation denied it exist. It’s like living in a world where your identity is not recognised to be natural.

please tell me this is a troll lmao

Talk about over reaction!
read the above posts.
You say either yes or no, or if you’re gay, choose wether to tell them or not.
Its a big leap to suggest they would feel unrecognised!
stop being so offended. It’s ridiculous
I mean if I read that correctly you just assumed we are all male so... :tongue:
Hypothetically speaking

Would you be offended if a colleague of you or classmate asks you “do you have a gf?”, without known that whether you are straight/gay...

Is it right to be offended when people automatically assume you are straight and asks you whether you have bf/gf (even though you are straight but they don’t know that }

No, there’s no reason to be offended everyone unless they somehow suggest otherwise should be assumed straight.
Reply 14
please tell me this is a troll lmao

Trust me, I am not that kind of person. I actually got offended today when a random guy in my class asked me if I had a gf without knowing my sexuality and I reacted little bit rudely. I did some self-reflection afterward and I asked myself if my rude reaction was justified.
Reply 15
Original post by Bill Nye
I mean if I read that correctly you just assumed we are all male so... :tongue:

Nah. I did take care of that. Read it again
I bet you assume people are happy when they might actually be depressed. I bet you've assumed a brown person is muslim when he isn't... why does it matter? Just correct them, straight people are majoirty so it's assumed unless you portray a gay sterotype... How sterotypical of you to overact and be offended
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
I bet you assume people are happy when they might actually be depressed. I bet you've assumed a brown person is muslim when he isn't... why does it matter? Just correct them, straight people are majoirty so it's assumed unless you portray a gay sterotype... How sterotypical of you to overact and be offended

I don’t recall assuming any of what you have stated in your message
I'm a guy and I wouldn't be offended, it's a reasonable assumption bearing in mind 90%+ of people are straight
How dare you assume I'm single. I'm deeply offended.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending