The Student Room Group

On average, what perks do companies offer for an employer?

So I'm seeking junior roles and on average once I get into a job what sort of perks should I expect?

-28 days holiday
-private healthcare
-shopping vouchers
-gym pass
-pension scheme

So this is what I believe most employers on average offer employees.

What do you believe I should expect at minimum?
Original post by Aqua boy
So I'm seeking junior roles and on average once I get into a job what sort of perks should I expect?

-28 days holiday
-private healthcare
-shopping vouchers
-gym pass
-pension scheme

You will be offered a pension scheme (to which you will contribute) if your employment is permanent

Holidays will probably start at 28 days but that includes bank holidays.

Other than that there is no definite expectation. You may have flexible working hours. On the other hand you could have very inflexible shift working.

Private health insurance will typically be dependent on a senior role or a generous employer.

Anything else will vary from employer to employer.
If your employer offers anything like private health insurance or a gym pass then think very carefully before just accepting them because they're taxable. (e.g. if you start out earning £25k and your employer is giving you £1k worth of taxable perks, then your tax calculations will be as if you're earning £26k per year)

Pensions and holidays are mandatory - employers are legally required to give you those benefits, so they are non-taxable.

You will probably also get a few bits and pieces at the workplace too - e.g. free tea & coffee in the kitchen, and an annual workplace christmas party.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Aqua boy

-28 days holiday
-private healthcare
-shopping vouchers
-gym pass
-pension scheme

As above - for every "perk" you get such as company car, private medical insurance, fuel card will all be taken into account as income. Your personal allowance will be reduced and your tax bill will be higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending