The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield uni

Does Sheffield have just as good academic reputation as Leeds and Birmingham? Sheffield is lower in the league tables.
Original post by emmabrown33
Does Sheffield have just as good academic reputation as Leeds and Birmingham? Sheffield is lower in the league tables.

Dont be confused by league tables as they cover multiple subjects and also the metrics they use to compile a score can differ greatly. You simply might not agree with what they consider relevant so take things like Guardian and times with a pinch of salt. Some unis can be stronger in some subjects than others.
Employers will be more interested in your degree grade. Occasionally higher unis have a more favourable impression on employers, but for the most part its about degree grade. I doubt they would care about any differences between that mix.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Depends what you’re doing. Some of the engineering courses beat Imperial last year (top 5 uk), but then some courses are quite a lot lower.
Reply 3
Original post by MichaMicha
Depends what you’re doing. Some of the engineering courses beat Imperial last year (top 5 uk), but then some courses are quite a lot lower.

I'm doing biomedical science. Do you know if Sheffield is good for biosciences?
Original post by emmabrown33
I'm doing biomedical science. Do you know if Sheffield is good for biosciences?

Sheffield is incredibly good for Biosciences, and Biomedical in particular
Original post by Helloworld_95
Sheffield is incredibly good for Biosciences, and Biomedical in particular

Hi Helloworld, it's your personal oppinion or based in some kind of ranking?
I'm applying to Genetics.
Regards,

Manu
Original post by Manuscha01
Hi Helloworld, it's your personal oppinion or based in some kind of ranking?
I'm applying to Genetics.
Regards,

Manu

Rankings plus general knowledge of how Sheffield is perceived for both because I know a lot of people that have studied both here, and they've all done pretty well for themselves within their fields.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending