The Student Room Group

Does withdrawing from uni lower your chances of getting into another uni?

I am coming to the conclusion that my course is not for me.
I am currently studying maths at the UoBath and I'm having no enjoyment in the course. I'm constantly working (the workload isnt the problem) on theorems and concepts I have no desire to know. I turn up to lectures on time but mentally I am not there. and tbh just thinking about the work makes me a little depressed.
I feel what went wrong with my choice is that, I lost interest in pure maths and how maths works. Instead, I would rather be solving everyday maths issues and finding answers rather than proving theorems.
I was thinking about doing an engineering course as it sounds like what I would like to do but don't know enough about them yet.
Most of the Unis I have looked at ask for three As in maths and two sciences or something. I easily meet these requirements as I got AA*A in maths, further maths and physics. But does the fact I withdrew from uni massively affect my chance of getting an offer?
Reply 1
Original post by 0SP0
I am coming to the conclusion that my course is not for me.
I am currently studying maths at the UoBath and I'm having no enjoyment in the course. I'm constantly working (the workload isnt the problem) on theorems and concepts I have no desire to know. I turn up to lectures on time but mentally I am not there. and tbh just thinking about the work makes me a little depressed.
I feel what went wrong with my choice is that, I lost interest in pure maths and how maths works. Instead, I would rather be solving everyday maths issues and finding answers rather than proving theorems.
I was thinking about doing an engineering course as it sounds like what I would like to do but don't know enough about them yet.
Most of the Unis I have looked at ask for three As in maths and two sciences or something. I easily meet these requirements as I got AA*A in maths, further maths and physics. But does the fact I withdrew from uni massively affect my chance of getting an offer?

No, not at all.

What about staying at Bath? And are you just starting Y1? You will have more options in Y2 Maths - and less "proofs".
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Didn't for me.
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
No, not at all.

What about staying at Bath? And are you just starting Y1? You will have more options in Y2 Maths - and less "proofs".

Yeh, in my fourth week of first year now and at my current rate idk if I can make it through year one. I feel its a too late to switch courses and I don't think bath does general engineering which I was looking into applying to. I don't think its just the proof thos, I feel I miss apply maths to real situations like with moments or impulses and other mechanics topics. using maths to find an answer and not trying to have a deeper understanding of it if you get me.
Reply 4
Original post by 0SP0
Yeh, in my fourth week of first year now and at my current rate idk if I can make it through year one. I feel its a too late to switch courses and I don't think bath does general engineering which I was looking into applying to. I don't think its just the proof thos, I feel I miss apply maths to real situations like with moments or impulses and other mechanics topics. using maths to find an answer and not trying to have a deeper understanding of it if you get me.

Speak to your tutor asap.

MechEng is basically general engineering :wink:

Or even more broad, you have Mech and Electrical at Bath
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2019/integrated-mechanical-and-electrical-engineering/
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
Speak to your tutor asap.

MechEng is basically general engineering :wink:

Or even more broad, you have Mech and Electrical at Bath
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2019/integrated-mechanical-and-electrical-engineering/

I have got a meeting with him tomorrow which was as soon as I could have gotten it also, hoping he can arrange (or i can arrange myself) to speak to the engineering department to see if that's better suited to me or not.
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
Didn't for me.

could i ask what you did and what happened ?
Reply 7
Original post by 0SP0
could i ask what you did and what happened ?

I went at 18 to a course I didn't want to do at an institution I didn't want to be at. Went in for the first week, hated it. My attendance got more sporadic from there until I withdrew about 5 ish weeks in.

I was out of education for six years or so befoore I went back, and when I did, no problems at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending