The Student Room Group

Is a Combined Honours Degree harder than a Single Honours Degree?

Original post by Benjidude

It depends how well your two subjects go well together as if they are similar then its easier to revise and learn. I do a CH degree and yes its hard but I do less modules than the single honours people would do in that subject to fit 120 credits per year.
Hi @Benjidude,

It’s a bit of a common myth that Combined/Joint Honours is ‘harder’ than single honours I would say it’s just different.

For example here at Derby, whichever way you study, you’ll be learning six different topics (or modules) throughout the year. Your choice is whether you want those to all sit behind one subject, or two.

Yes, it can be challenging to move from one subject to another, but similar really to the work you do at A-Level or GCSE, when you move from one lesson to the next :smile:

Ryan
Reply 3
I found the disparity between workloads detrimental to the exerience and binned it off after 5 weeks in favour of a single hons instead.
Reply 4
Like Ryan said, most unis will do 3 modules in the first semester and three in the second. You still do the same amount of modules a year and receive the same amount of credits if you do joint or single. If you do joint you will do different modules to the single guys but may be in the same modules as them.

Example, I do single Linguistics. But I have course-mates doing Eng Lang & Linguistics. Therefore they are in two of my modules this semester, while I chose to be in one of theirs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending