The Student Room Group

Quantity Surveying or Building Surveying 2018/19 (HELP!)

Hi guys

I have done some research on quantity surveying and find it interesting. I am aware that building surveying is also another option. BUT here is the problem...

I want to go into quantity surveying but obviously Brexit is a pain in the backside at the moment!

Although QS is well paid and in high demand, it could be hit hard by Brexit. As a result there could be a loss of jobs, less pay for QS and etc.

On the other hand, building surveyors don't earn as much as a QS but are still in high demand. But I have heard that Building Surveyors are still in high demand even during recessions.

So what do I go for? The well paid job (QS) or the safer job (BS)???

Any help is much appreciated!!!
Reply 1
Please do not over-think this, your point is valid but Quantity Surveyors along with other project professional roles in this country will always suffer a short-fall. Take a look at the demand on job sites, linked-in etc.T

hink more about what you would enjoy, you will not be tied to one forever - even if during the degree you change your mind you can go on the do a masters in the other subject. I did a QS degree and many of the modules, particularly in the 1st year were combined with BS, real estate and construction management students.

If you want more of an insight into industry while studying perhaps think about the part-time route while working full time for a company? Many companies now take on students and sponsor them, it's better for them to pay a 'Trainee QS' a little less for the initial few years who will end up knowing what they are doing that employ a graduate on £24k that may have no experience. That is what I did (and have no student debt).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lharker92
Please do not over-think this, your point is valid but Quantity Surveyors along with other project professional roles in this country will always suffer a short-fall. Take a look at the demand on job sites, linked-in etc.T

hink more about what you would enjoy, you will not be tied to one forever - even if during the degree you change your mind you can go on the do a masters in the other subject. I did a QS degree and many of the modules, particularly in the 1st year were combined with BS, real estate and construction management students.

If you want more of an insight into industry while studying perhaps think about the part-time route while working full time for a company? Many companies now take on students and sponsor them, it's better for them to pay a 'Trainee QS' a little less for the initial few years who will end up knowing what they are doing that employ a graduate on £24k that may have no experience. That is what I did (and have no student debt).

Thanks for your reply.
I have considered a degree apprenticeship in QS but for now I am sticking to a degree in QS first.
However, I can do 1 year of work experience in between my degree OR look for an employer during my degree for part time work at QS firm and complete the degree that way.
Reply 3
I disagree with what you are saying. From my experience when I was in university QS students got Jobs while BS struggled to get jobs in their field.

You don't think building surveys will be in less demand after BREXIT, house prices drop, consequently no one sells their houses thus no need for a building surveyors.

Both job roles are drastically different.
Reply 4
Original post by AMG44
I disagree with what you are saying. From my experience when I was in university QS students got Jobs while BS struggled to get jobs in their field.

You don't think building surveys will be in less demand after BREXIT, house prices drop, consequently no one sells their houses thus no need for a building surveyors.

Both job roles are drastically different.

Fair enough. Thanks for your reply.
Hi there,

I graduated a few weeks ago with MSC Quantity Surveying conversion course. During that time i worked as a Trainee QS whilst studying my masters full-time. I'm now an Assistant QS for a regional main contractor. I've just turned 38, so it was a career change for me.

QS's are more in demand than BS's. Both occupations would be impacted by economic downturn/Brexit.

The reason why I chose QS was because 1: there's a shortage of them and knew the demand would be there. 2: I have always been fascinated by construction technology and how, basically, buildings are constructed. I love architeture and well, i'm one of those people that loves watching documentaries on strutural engineering :smile: 3: I love the building site atmosphere - it's a good laugh and there's ALWAYS something different happening every day. I have never been a fan of any job to do with numbers: I got a GCSE grade D 20 years ago, lol. However, my past jobs have mostly involved numbers! (go figure). I'm not a Maths genius, but very good with Excel, so that helps alot.

So, QS's are more in demand than inexperienced Building Surveyors. Unless you've got 10-20 years BS experience and are chartered, then looking and securing a job is going to be more of a challenge than if you were a QS. Dont get me wrong, there are positions for graduate BS's, but no where near as much as a graduate QS....

Have you considered Construction Management? i.e. to become a Site Manager? Site Managers are HIGHLY IN DEMAND and on AMAZING money. I kid you not.

If you can't see yourself working with numbers alot and valuing work, dealing with contracts, and prefer the physical side of the job, then Construction Management (site manager) is probably more for you.
Reply 6
Original post by ScouseEmma28
Hi there,

I graduated a few weeks ago with MSC Quantity Surveying conversion course. During that time i worked as a Trainee QS whilst studying my masters full-time. I'm now an Assistant QS for a regional main contractor. I've just turned 38, so it was a career change for me.

QS's are more in demand than BS's. Both occupations would be impacted by economic downturn/Brexit.

The reason why I chose QS was because 1: there's a shortage of them and knew the demand would be there. 2: I have always been fascinated by construction technology and how, basically, buildings are constructed. I love architeture and well, i'm one of those people that loves watching documentaries on strutural engineering :smile: 3: I love the building site atmosphere - it's a good laugh and there's ALWAYS something different happening every day. I have never been a fan of any job to do with numbers: I got a GCSE grade D 20 years ago, lol. However, my past jobs have mostly involved numbers! (go figure). I'm not a Maths genius, but very good with Excel, so that helps alot.

So, QS's are more in demand than inexperienced Building Surveyors. Unless you've got 10-20 years BS experience and are chartered, then looking and securing a job is going to be more of a challenge than if you were a QS. Dont get me wrong, there are positions for graduate BS's, but no where near as much as a graduate QS....

Have you considered Construction Management? i.e. to become a Site Manager? Site Managers are HIGHLY IN DEMAND and on AMAZING money. I kid you not.

If you can't see yourself working with numbers alot and valuing work, dealing with contracts, and prefer the physical side of the job, then Construction Management (site manager) is probably more for you.

Thanks for your advice!
Hi there, first of all sorry for the late reply (had to deal with some bs). I came on here and read some bs. You have done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending