The Student Room Group

Applying for a foundation year tips

I've been looking into this more and more but have a few questions.

Is access route better?
Entry requirements seem very vague for mature students.
I assume you still have to apply via UCAS and do a personal statement?

I'll prob short list a few universities and email them for more information but any tips on peoples experiences doing it would be great.
As a person who is a mature student applying as well for university,has received an offer and been rejected. I will give you my take on this.

Firstly the entry requirements for the course are generally the same as any other person applying, There are are alternatives ie as you mentioned Access to HE course.
As a mature student what comes into it is the grades you have , work experience /any additional qualifications (that you learnt later on , perhaps through work) that link to your desired course. Next your personal statement. Which is your chance to sell yourself as a mature student.

You will definitely have to apply through UCAS.

I want to study Chinese. I have a HSK level 4 in Chinese, studied in China twice. So I have a lot of experience and skill in the subject I wish to study. This is what I believe coupled with my statement and work experience that swung it for me.

So basically if you know you have no relevant quals, and or experience in whatever you desire to study I would most definitely look into a HE Course but enquire with the university you wish to attend what kind of HE course they are willing to accept. What I mean by this is if you want to study Science but do a HE course in philosophy ( if there is such a thing). That's probably not going to carry much weight.
Reply 2
I'm only been looking into this for a week as I want to do a Computer Science degree.
Unfortunately I have zero relevant work experience that is related to computers.

I'm starting to think the best approach is for me to do an ACCESS to HE in Science and then apply for a foundation year.
I'd like to do a ACCESS to Computing but none are available in my area.. The only other relate-able course in my area is an ACCESS to ICT which is more about business.

The problem with this though is it turns a 3 year degree into a 5 year course x.x
The thing is the course is just a stepping stone to get you in to university. If the universities you apply for accept that ICT Access course then just smash it out .
Reply 4
Original post by adam277

Is access route better?

I'll prob short list a few universities and email them for more information but any tips on peoples experiences doing it would be great.

I would say Access is 1000000% better, if you are eligible to use it. Reasons:
- Its cheaper than a foundation course
- Its arguably 'easier' to score highly and thus, enter a better institution.

Entry requirements are clear for Access Courses. Just email the relevant UG admissions.

Entry is via UCAS etc.

Message me if you want any info.

Source: Applied having done Access last year. My course is A*AA entry - Im here on Access :smile:
Reply 5
Did you have time to do a part time job alongside an access course?
Reply 6
Original post by adam277
Did you have time to do a part time job alongside an access course?

Part-time? I worked a 60 hour a week job and did my Access Course online via distance learning. I scored the maximum possible marks.

Is it possible? Yes :smile: Does it take a lot of hard work and dedication? Very much so.
Reply 7
Access online is definitely an option.

I haven't done essay or any academic writing though in like 10 years. Then you have the mathematics and all that other crap.
I've always assumed I'd need help in this regard and that an online course is 100% self study am I wrong?
Reply 8
Original post by adam277
Access online is definitely an option.

I haven't done essay or any academic writing though in like 10 years. Then you have the mathematics and all that other crap.
I've always assumed I'd need help in this regard and that an online course is 100% self study am I wrong?

Yeah its self-study, but, 90% of University is self-study!

The Access Course that I did (and I cant speak for them all) spent 3 ungraded Unit's teaching you how to write in an academic manner. As they are ungraded, its an opportunity for you to take feedback on board and apply it to your future work. The whole point of an access course is to prepare you for University study, whilst also giving you the opportunity to show off your academic prowess through a nationally respected course.

Doing something distance is probably much harder than going to a brick college. You have to be motivated and be willing to crack on. In doing mine, I had access to other students and a tutor who could assist/advise me (and they were a great help) but ultimately, only you can do the work. This is the same for brick colleges.

For me, it worked. I am quite happy to make sense of things on my own and I enjoyed being able to study when I wanted, and work when I wanted. I simply could not have attended College at X time on X date. I just worked around my professional life.
Original post by adam277

Is access route better?

Have you thought about doing your degree in Scotland? We're in Edinburgh and it's amazing :biggrin: UG degrees are 4 years here because of the different school system. Direct entry to Year 2 is possible with the right A-Levels. Maybe there is something we could do for you at Heriot-Watt University. You could email me more details about your qualifications and I could advise you further [email protected] :h: If you are from England and you start in our Year 1, we pay one year's tuition fees for you. We are ranked joint 1st in the UK for Software Engineering (NSS 2018).

Have you ever been to Edinburgh? Here's a tour of our Edinburgh campus!

[video="youtube;qyOSzHpYKZI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyOSzHpYKZI[/video]

Holly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending