The Student Room Group

Staffordshire or Keele?

I received both offers from unis but I don't know which to pick. For Keele, I got a conditional 104 UCAS offer since I applied through college. For Staffordshire, I got a conditional 112 UCAS offer but it is also an unconditional-if-firm. Would really like to hear reviews/advices from students there so I can make a decision. I have compared most of the statistics (league tables, accomodation costs, etc.) but I would really love to hear what people genuinely think of those universities.
Hi! As my username suggests, I am a Staffs Uni student, currently in my final year. I’ve visited Keele before and honestly, they are such different places. It depends what experience you really want. Some of the things that make Staffordshire so unique is that our main campus is right in the heart of Stoke-on-Trent, a 15-minute walk from the city centre and the train station is so close that it is practically part of campus itself. If you want somewhere where it’s easy to travel around, where everything you need is on your doorstep and there’s a tight-knit student community, choose Staffs. In my opinion though as someone who has nearly finished their degree, I think the course you choose is more important. Pick the one that sounds like it suits your style of learning and your interests best, and if you need any help deciding that, send a quick message to the enquiries teams. At the end of the day, if your course isn’t right, you’re not going to enjoy your student experience, because that is the thing you’re focusing on for many years. Hope that helps a bit! Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions 😊
Hey! Coming at this from the same angle as Hayley here - I'm a current third year student at Staffs (Cartoon & Comic Arts).

First of all, congrats on your offers! That's brilliant!

What are you looking at studying? I can look for someone course specific to give you a run down if you like?

But from my perspective - I've loved journey with Staffs. I picked it initially partially because of the location being close to so many things, but also onto minutes from fields (I'm a country person, so being around greenery has been really important, especially when I can just walk five-ten minutes and get to a McDonalds Ahahahha). I also partially picked staffs because it's very homely and familial - you don't feel like a statistic, you feel like the uni is really working for you. There are so many services that just make uni life a gazillion times easier.

Do you have any specific questions about student Life at Staffs? Just lemme know and I'll try answer them the best i can.

Thanks!

- Gee
Original post by StaffsUniHayley
Hi! As my username suggests, I am a Staffs Uni student, currently in my final year. I’ve visited Keele before and honestly, they are such different places. It depends what experience you really want. Some of the things that make Staffordshire so unique is that our main campus is right in the heart of Stoke-on-Trent, a 15-minute walk from the city centre and the train station is so close that it is practically part of campus itself. If you want somewhere where it’s easy to travel around, where everything you need is on your doorstep and there’s a tight-knit student community, choose Staffs. In my opinion though as someone who has nearly finished their degree, I think the course you choose is more important. Pick the one that sounds like it suits your style of learning and your interests best, and if you need any help deciding that, send a quick message to the enquiries teams. At the end of the day, if your course isn’t right, you’re not going to enjoy your student experience, because that is the thing you’re focusing on for many years. Hope that helps a bit! Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions 😊

Thank you so much for your advice. I haven't really thought about the distance to where everything is so I really appreciate it. I'm still a bit torn between the course content. There's elements which seems interesting in Staffordshire and some which would put me off. Same goes for Keele too. I'm still unsure but thank you for the review. :biggrin:
Original post by StaffsUniGee
Hey! Coming at this from the same angle as Hayley here - I'm a current third year student at Staffs (Cartoon & Comic Arts).

First of all, congrats on your offers! That's brilliant!

What are you looking at studying? I can look for someone course specific to give you a run down if you like?

But from my perspective - I've loved journey with Staffs. I picked it initially partially because of the location being close to so many things, but also onto minutes from fields (I'm a country person, so being around greenery has been really important, especially when I can just walk five-ten minutes and get to a McDonalds Ahahahha). I also partially picked staffs because it's very homely and familial - you don't feel like a statistic, you feel like the uni is really working for you. There are so many services that just make uni life a gazillion times easier.

Do you have any specific questions about student Life at Staffs? Just lemme know and I'll try answer them the best i can.

Thanks!

- Gee

I really appreciate the review there, thank you. I think I'm fine with the course but thanks for the offer. My only question is how does Staffordshire help with the transition to university life? Will keep your review in mind when I have to decide. Thank you again. :smile:
Original post by DeathTheSister
I really appreciate the review there, thank you. I think I'm fine with the course but thanks for the offer. My only question is how does Staffordshire help with the transition to university life? Will keep your review in mind when I have to decide. Thank you again. :smile:

So, if you enroll at Staffs, you'll first get involved with welcome week. This is basically Freshers but with a WHOLE lot of activities to make sure you're ready to start uni, and to get you involved with groups of people so you can make some friends and feel more comfortable (there are typical Freshers options like nights out and parties, but there are events for if you just wanna chill out - like BBQs, dog de-stress days and have-a-go days).

As well as this, if you live in accommodation, toully have RLCs living in your block, who are basically students who also work with ResLife (who run the accommodation), to make sure you dontd have any issues living on your own or in the accommodation.

And of course, the student services in the Student Hub are there if you have any course or admin issues while at uni. And if you ever just wanted chat to another student about life or a question, the Student Comms Ambassadors can be contacted through Twitter - StaffsStudents

Hope this helps.

- Gee
Original post by StaffsUniGee
So, if you enroll at Staffs, you'll first get involved with welcome week. This is basically Freshers but with a WHOLE lot of activities to make sure you're ready to start uni, and to get you involved with groups of people so you can make some friends and feel more comfortable (there are typical Freshers options like nights out and parties, but there are events for if you just wanna chill out - like BBQs, dog de-stress days and have-a-go days).

As well as this, if you live in accommodation, toully have RLCs living in your block, who are basically students who also work with ResLife (who run the accommodation), to make sure you dontd have any issues living on your own or in the accommodation.

And of course, the student services in the Student Hub are there if you have any course or admin issues while at uni. And if you ever just wanted chat to another student about life or a question, the Student Comms Ambassadors can be contacted through Twitter - StaffsStudents

Hope this helps.

- Gee

Ahh thank you. Really appreciate your help.

Quick Reply

Latest