The Student Room Group

2nd year student nurse help!!

I’m currently a 2nd year adult student nurse, just about to go out to placement,however recently I have been thinking whether to continue with nursing. I loved first year however 2nd year i just don’t have the same feels, I’m fine with the acedemic work however finding myself thinking whether to continue with nursing. Unsure If im questioning my choice as I have a placement coming up, the repsonabilities that nurses are given or just generally not very keen any longer. I would be very grateful with some advice on the best solutions or choices ( whether to continue but may not like it afterwards or regret not doing it or taking a year out)

Thank you
Original post by O.nixon
I’m currently a 2nd year adult student nurse, just about to go out to placement,however recently I have been thinking whether to continue with nursing. I loved first year however 2nd year i just don’t have the same feels, I’m fine with the acedemic work however finding myself thinking whether to continue with nursing. Unsure If im questioning my choice as I have a placement coming up, the repsonabilities that nurses are given or just generally not very keen any longer. I would be very grateful with some advice on the best solutions or choices ( whether to continue but may not like it afterwards or regret not doing it or taking a year out)

Thank you

The vast majority of students will, at some point, seriously consider leaving the course. Really, what you need to work out is whether you are just not enjoying the course at the moment or whether you don't want to do the course and don't want to be a nurse at the end of it.

If you do decide to take time out, you also need to consider what the likelihood of you returning is, as most students who do this don't end up returning. You also need to consider what you would do if you left nursing, whether there is another course you would do and what sort of career you want. Generally, it's not a good idea to just drop out with no plan whatsoever. You may also find that once you have your degree, you have other job opportunities open to you either in a totally different field or in research/academia.
im a second year (march intake), nearly finished and second year is well known for being the worst as it seems like a drag that’s from talking to students from different unis on placement , lectures and personal experience. Also, i find that being in between training is kind of difficult as some mentors may expect you to know a lot more just because you’re a 2nd year. But it also depends on where your placements are during that period as if your not enjoying it then it can be demotivating and difficult to seem enthusiatstic about learning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending