The Student Room Group

Going by my middle name at University ?

Basically what it says in the question - I've never been a fan of my name Danielle, so I'm thinking about going by my middle name Amber when I go to university.
The thing is I'm a bit worried about people, either new or old, judging me for it or thinking its a bit weird, or it not sticking and then I look stupid.
I think Danielle is a bit boring and whilst I'm not in love with Amber either its more acceptable than just creating a name out of thin air - which would be a bit strange in my opinion.
My only other concern is that Amber isnt a very professional name and I'm going on to do Economics at university so that may be an issue. A lot of people have said they think that names such as Amber are a bit 'chavvy' and don't have good connotations.
Honest opinions ??
I know a few Amber's and the name is fine.
If you want to change your name-change it. But your current name is fine-I like it.
No need to tell people your real name at uni, one of my friends when registering in the prefered name section changed it so everyone knows her by her changed name
Nothing wrong with this, plenty of people do. Such as our former Prime Minister John Brown and former idiot London Mayor Alexander Johnson.
Danielle is a pretty name, Amber is a nice name. Danny or Dannie are nice names if you want to have something different but avoid the supposed chavviness of Amber. I don't think people will think the less of you if you introduce yourself as Amber. This is all kind of superficial stuff anyway.
Reply 4
no
i know a girl who goes by a name derived from her middle name, so literally she kind of used her middle name to inspire her own name and now everyone knows her as that and nobody bats an eye when she says that she isn't called that on her birth certificate or register

doesn't really matter
Reply 5
Original post by damndarling
Basically what it says in the question - I've never been a fan of my name Danielle, so I'm thinking about going by my middle name Amber when I go to university.
The thing is I'm a bit worried about people, either new or old, judging me for it or thinking its a bit weird, or it not sticking and then I look stupid.
I think Danielle is a bit boring and whilst I'm not in love with Amber either its more acceptable than just creating a name out of thin air - which would be a bit strange in my opinion.
My only other concern is that Amber isnt a very professional name and I'm going on to do Economics at university so that may be an issue. A lot of people have said they think that names such as Amber are a bit 'chavvy' and don't have good connotations.
Honest opinions ??

Amber Rudd is on her second cabinet job. Being an 'Amber' didn't hold her back in life...
Original post by damndarling
Honest opinions ??

Amber is a lovely name. It means ‘precious jewel.’
Original post by Seamus123
Amber is a lovely name. It means ‘precious jewel.’

I don't think there is anything wrong with using your middle name. There are 2 people in my class who go by their middle name and most people don't even realize (even teachers).
Amber is my middle name too and I've never heard of it having negative connotations. Call yourself whatever you want, uni is a fresh start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending