The Student Room Group

I am a Christian AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hello Harold,

Acts details believers actually becoming "Christians" ("born again" / "born of the Spirit") in the original and true sense by receiving the Holy Spirit (who was not given until jesus returned to The Father - John 7v37-9, Luke 24v49, Acts 1:8-9)

It was known precisely when this happened, they immediately spoke in tongues (an unlearned prayer language that God leads his children in).

Have you had this excperience?
Original post by Harold98
Because we make our decisions ourselves. We choose whether or not we believe. God knows what we ourselves will choose.

but u said we are predestined thus god knows right
so how can we have free will it makes no sense are actions as u said are PREDETERMINED
Reply 22
Original post by Gent2324
if i get shot by someone and die, is that gods decision?

It is the person’s decision to shoot you but God has always known that you will die from this.
Reply 23
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
but u said we are predestined thus god knows right
so how can we have free will it makes no sense are actions as u said are PREDETERMINED

Yes God knows what we will do, but he doesn’t make us do it. We can choose to do this or that. God, however, knows what we will do. He’s not the one who makes us do it.
over 95% of us are going to hell apparently according to Calvinism

yeah I know what Calvinism teaches 🙂
Yes God knows what we will do, but he doesn’t make us do it. We can choose to do this or that. God, however, knows what we will do. He’s not the one who makes us do it.

see that doesnt make sense if he know then its predestined thus we have no free will as ST AUGUSTINE OF HIPPO said
I believe in God and I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God. I believe in the Bible as being the inspired word of God written by different people. I believe that I have a personal relationship with God.

Ask me anything, I am a little bored.

If you are a 'Genuine Christian', why are you boasting about it ? Your christianity should show by your actions :- not your boastfull words.!
Original post by Leviathan1611
yeah I know what Calvinism teaches 🙂

are u ur self a calvinist
I do not know enough about all the different theological traditions to be able to commit myself to one tradition. I merely aim to learn as much as possible about God and the Bible and don’t aim to follow a specific theological tradition or denomination.

ah okay nevermind.

if someone was to ask you how they can go to heaven, what would you tell them?
are u ur self a calvinist

God forbid! the teachings of Calvinism make me gag.🤢
Original post by Kenneth Bromwich
If you are a 'Genuine Christian', why are you boasting about it ? Your christianity should show by your actions :- not your boastfull words.!

if he were boasting, wouldn't he write about his good deeds rather than just what he believes?
I'm a Christian too but sadly I'm slowly faltering in my faith and I don't know what to do?

What should I do? Sometimes God answers my prayers and sometimes I feel lost and hope for a miracle but feel incredibly lost.
Reply 32
Original post by NJA
Hello Harold,

Acts details believers actually becoming "Christians" ("born again" / "born of the Spirit") in the original and true sense by receiving the Holy Spirit (who was not given until jesus returned to The Father - John 7v37-9, Luke 24v49, Acts 1:8-9)

It was known precisely when this happened, they immediately spoke in tongues (an unlearned prayer language that God leads his children in).

Have you had this excperience?

No I have not. 1 Corinthians 12:28-30 states “And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?”, meaning that although God has placed teachers, apostles and tongue-speakers among his church of believers, not everyone will be able to do all of these things. Not being able to speak in tongues does not render one an unbeliever. It is only our faith in the God of the Bible that differentiates the believers from the disbelievers.
(edited 5 years ago)
God forbid! the teachings of Calvinism make me gag.🤢

thank god
i cant stand calvinists
Reply 34
Original post by AngelStarfire
I'm a Christian too but sadly I'm slowly faltering in my faith and I don't know what to do?

What should I do? Sometimes God answers my prayers and sometimes I feel lost and hope for a miracle but feel incredibly lost.

Hi, I think every Christian has some moments when they feel weak in faith. God tests us in a number of ways. In the book of Job, we see that God allowed Satan to test Job in a number of ways by inducing suffering, and yet Job persisted in the end and continued to have faith in God.

We need to remember that the greatest life, the most happy life we will have, is not on this Earth but in Heaven, and the only way to get to Heaven is through faith in Christ.

God is always listening to your prayers. He might not answer them in the way you were hoping, but God is our greatest comforter in hard times and we will feel far more lost and hopeless if we choose to reject him and live a life with ourselves instead of Christ at the centre.

If you would like to talk more about this feel free to PM me.
Reply 35
No I have not. 1 Corinthians 12:28-30 states “And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?”, meaning that although God has placed teachers, apostles and tongue-speakers among his church of believers, not everyone will be able to do all of these things. Not being able to speak in tongues does not render one an unbeliever. It is only our faith in the God of the Bible that differentiates the believers from the disbelievers.

Then you are not yet a Christian.
The passage you quote concerns ministries in the church not what people get at salvation.

Paul was reasoning with them not to all speak in tongues in meetings, precisely because that is what they were doing. If what you believe is true, the problem could never arise!

In the original church, and the one I'm in, all members can and do pray in tongues privately, but in a meeting, 2 or 3 only will operate a "gift of tongues" followed by a gift of interpretation. Similarly, all have faith, knowledge and the other attributes listed in 1 Corinthians 12, but when we meet, only one at a time will speak, giving words of wisdom and knowledge, praying with people (gifts of faith and healing) etc.

i suspect you have never actually been to a church like this, which is why you have got this passage, and salvation wrong.

Here's an invitation (to all).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by NJA
The passage you quote concerns ministries in the church not what people get at salvation.

People was reasoning with them not to all speak in tongues in meetings, precuisely because that is what they were doing. If what you believe is true, the problem could never arise.

In the original church, and the one I'm in, all members can and do pray in tongues privately, but in a meeting, 2 or 3 only will operate a "gift of tongues" followed by a gift of interpretation. Similarly, all have faith, knowledge and the other attributes listed in 1 Corinthians 12, but when we meet, only one at a time will speak, giving words of wisdom and knowledge, praying with people (gifts of faith and healing) etc.

i suspect you have never actually been to a church like this, which is why you have got this passage, and salvation wrong.

you'll never find the phrase "speaking in tongues" in the KJV Bible. furthermore tongues is just another word for language. so when the apostles spoke with tongues I'm acts 2, they were speaking actual languages. are the people in your church speaking actual languages or something else?
Reply 37
Original post by NJA

Paul was reasoning with them not to all speak in tongues in meetings, precuisely because that is what they were doing. If what you believe is true, the problem could never arise.

The passage I quoted concerns what abilities God has given the believers. It clearly states that some will have the ability to speak in tongues, but it does not say that we all will. In fact, it implies the opposite. Speaking in tongues is one sign of salvation, not the sign of salvation. The only way to be saved is by faith in the God of the Bible and faith in Jesus Christ’s sacrifice on the cross. Speaking in tongues may come as a result of this but it is not a requirement.
https://carm.org/speaking-tongues-necessary-sign-salvation
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 38
you'll never find the phrase "speaking in tongues" in the KJV Bible. furthermore tongues is just another word for language. so when the apostles spoke with tongues I'm acts 2, they were speaking actual languages. are the people in your church speaking actual languages or something else?

Nonsense - read Mark 16:17, Acts 2v4, 10:46... 1 Corinthians 14, several times
We speak real languages, unknown and unlearned to the speaker, occasionally a visitor will recognise them.
Reply 39
The passage I quoted concerns what abilities God has given the believers. It clearly states that some will have the ability to speak in tongues, but it does not say that we all will. In fact, it implies the opposite. Speaking in tongues is one sign of salvation, not the sign of salvation. The only way to be saved is by faith in the God of the Bible and faith in Jesus Christ’s sacrifice on the cross. Speaking in tongues may come as a result of this but it is not a requirement.

What other sign was ever used by the apostles for *receiving the Holy Spirit* ?

Quick Reply

Latest