The Student Room Group

Pregnancy whilst studying

Hello all

Hoping someone can help.

I am hoping to study Midwifery starting Sept 2019.

I am just wondering what happens financially if you take a year out at some point to have a baby? Without the bursary I am reliant upon student maintenance grants ect but i believe if your not actively studying these wouldn’t be paid - so is there anything else in place? Maternity pay wouldn’t be effective as your not technically employed?

From what I’ve read - I’d get zero money wise. Just wondered if anyone knew any differently?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Sarahhess
Hello all

Hoping someone can help.

I am hoping to study Midwifery starting Sept 2019.

I am just wondering what happens financially if you take a year out at some point to have a baby? Without the bursary I am reliant upon student maintenance grants ect but i believe if your not actively studying these wouldn’t be paid - so is there anything else in place? Maternity pay wouldn’t be effective as your not technically employed?

From what I’ve read - I’d get zero money wise. Just wondered if anyone knew any differently?

Thanks in advance

Funding in these sorts of situations can be complicated as it really depends who your funding body is, your university's policies regarding maternity absence and your previous funding.

The best thing to do would be to contact your funding body directly to enquire as they are the best people to give you an accurate answer.
Are you pregnant now, or planning to get pregnant in the near future? Also, are you normal college age at the moment (17/18/19)?

If you're pregnant now then I think a gap year would be most appropriate. If you're planning to get pregnant, you would have to take a year out. Neither of those would be supported by student finance, and AFAIK you'd have to go on benefits for that time if you weren't working.

If you are planning a pregnancy, unless you're significantly older than most starters, I would seriously advise against it. Having a baby and studying isn't impossible, but it does make things very difficult, and I'm not sure why anybody would plan to give birth mid-degree. If it's an accident and you're making the best of things that's fair enough, but to plan it seems crazy to me. The three years of your course will literally fly by, and you could even do a couple of years in your first job and STILL have a baby before the age of 25 - which is still quite young.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending