The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades enough for the top universities?

Hi,
I’m a year 12 student, studying math, further maths, chemistry and physics. In my GCSEs I got 4 8s, 5 7s and 2 6s. I wasn’t happy with these grades as they don’t demonstrate my full academic ability. I was attending an average secondary school where a lot of people underperformed and my grades were the second best in the school.
I’m really hoping to attend a top university to study maths or physics- particularly hoping for Oxford, Durham, UCL, Manchester, imperial etc. I know I can do so much better in my a levels compared to my GCSEs and am already working so much harder but am concerned my GCSEs aren’t of a high enough standard to compete with the other people that will be applying to these universities, for these courses.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
I've read that Imperial has a requirement of 5 A*s at GCSE for maths - although now I can't find where it says that!

Otherwise, no, it's really not a big deal that you "only" have 4 8s. If applying for maths, strong performance in MAT/STEP would be much more important.
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
I've read that Imperial has a requirement of 5 A*s at GCSE for maths - although now I can't find where it says that!

Otherwise, no, it's really not a big deal that you "only" have 4 8s. If applying for maths, strong performance in MAT/STEP would be much more important.

Yeah, I saw in the prospectus that they need 5 A*s. Thanks a lot though, it’s really reassured me.
Your ego is huge.
Reply 4
Original post by SatoriedSalieri
Your ego is huge.

Why?
Reply 5
Original post by JKAY_
Yeah, I saw in the prospectus that they need 5 A*s. Thanks a lot though, it’s really reassured me.

Oh, and they will take your GCSEs into context - if your school usually underperforms they'll take that into account as well.
Well it's quite difficult to answer this given that the unis you have listed have quite a range of policies with regard to entry. You're unlikely to get into Oxford with anything less than their stated requirements, which given your A levels and assuming you continue with both Maths and Further Maths will be A*AA. Taking Manchester as another example, they will be a fair bit more lenient. The likes of Durham, Imperial etc. will fall somewhere in between.

I was in the same position as you, although I went to a decent secondary school so didn't even have that as an excuse. I did better, although probably still slightly under-performed, at A level and managed AAB (Maths, English Lit, Physics), but still managed to get my place and now do Mechanical Engineering at a good Russell Group uni. Continue to work hard, get good results if your school is one that still offers AS exams under the new reforms, and unis will be interested in you. Predicted grades and references from your school carry more weight than people think. Also bear in mind, Oxbridge have their own admission tests which are another opportunity for you to prove yourself if you get to that point.

I'm at a point now I got away with not reaching my potential a little. I matured maybe a little too late, but am now working towards achieving a good degree to overshadow what I believe were poor results compared to what I wanted. The fact you clearly care at this point is a good thing.

Also remember not going to the top top unis isn't the end of the world, as much as it may seem it at the moment. I'm applying for jobs now, and (mostly) they couldn't care less if I went to Oxbridge or another top 20 Uni. There are so many bright people at all these unis. Tiny margins, one mistake in an exam costing you a grade you would've got any other day or the fact some people just happen to be better/work harder at the memory style tests GCSEs and A levels are compared to uni is usually the difference between Cambridge or Manchester/Leeds/Nottingham etc. In the long run, everyone will know this and where you went won't matter quite as much as you would think now, as long as you had a great few years there.
Reply 7
Original post by SomMC1
Definitely not bad gcse results. I always like looking at it with the A* and A older format. So 4A*s, 5A, 2B.
Pity to have those 2Bs. It doesn't show a level of consistency more than anything.

To be honest, Durham, UCL and Manchester should be no problem with those gcse results. Imperial and Oxford have a high average A* rate, although Im not going to give you an exact statistic, but i do remember reading that it's high.

And of course, you cant underestimate the importance of the PS for each applicant, especially the top unis.

now you gotta concentrate on A Levels. you cant change the gcse anymore.

Yeah I much prefer the old System as well! The 2 Bs were in English which I just couldn’t stand...
I’m glad to hear about Durham, UCL and Manchester- really reassuring so thanks for that.
Thanks for the advice and a great response as well!
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh
Oh, and they will take your GCSEs into context - if your school usually underperforms they'll take that into account as well.

I have heard things about that. However, I have moved to a grammar school for sixth form so do you know if they Will still compare my gcse results to my old school or to my new one ?
Thanks
Original post by JKAY_
I have heard things about that. However, I have moved to a grammar school for sixth form so do you know if they Will still compare my gcse results to my old school or to my new one ?
Thanks

They'll compare them to wherever you sat your GCSEs.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by JKAY_
Thanks

On your UCAS form you'll be putting in the school at which you took your GCSEs and the school at which you're taking A-levels. So they'll look at your GCSEs in the context of which school you were at when you took them.
Reply 11
Original post by KindaEngineer
Well it's quite difficult to answer this given that the unis you have listed have quite a range of policies with regard to entry. You're unlikely to get into Oxford with anything less than their stated requirements, which given your A levels and assuming you continue with both Maths and Further Maths will be A*AA. Taking Manchester as another example, they will be a fair bit more lenient. The likes of Durham, Imperial etc. will fall somewhere in between.

I was in the same position as you, although I went to a decent secondary school so didn't even have that as an excuse. I did better, although probably still slightly under-performed, at A level and managed AAB (Maths, English Lit, Physics), but still managed to get my place and now do Mechanical Engineering at a good Russell Group uni. Continue to work hard, get good results if your school is one that still offers AS exams under the new reforms, and unis will be interested in you. Predicted grades and references from your school carry more weight than people think. Also bear in mind, Oxbridge have their own admission tests which are another opportunity for you to prove yourself if you get to that point.

I'm at a point now I got away with not reaching my potential a little. I matured maybe a little too late, but am now working towards achieving a good degree to overshadow what I believe were poor results compared to what I wanted. The fact you clearly care at this point is a good thing.

Also remember not going to the top top unis isn't the end of the world, as much as it may seem it at the moment. I'm applying for jobs now, and (mostly) they couldn't care less if I went to Oxbridge or another top 20 Uni. There are so many bright people at all these unis. Tiny margins, one mistake in an exam costing you a grade you would've got any other day or the fact some people just happen to be better/work harder at the memory style tests GCSEs and A levels are compared to uni is usually the difference between Cambridge or Manchester/Leeds/Nottingham etc. In the long run, everyone will know this and where you went won't matter quite as much as you would think now, as long as you had a great few years there.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to give such an excellent and detailed response. It’s really reassuring to hear from someone that was in a similar situation and has clearly made a success of themself. I’m gonna make sure I buckle down and get working. I’m really grateful for the response and I’ll make sure to keep all of you advice in mind. Thanks so much.
Reply 12
Original post by Sinnoh
On your UCAS form you'll be putting in the school at which you took your GCSEs and the school at which you're taking A-levels. So they'll look at your GCSEs in the context of which school you were at when you took them.

That’s exactly what I wanted to hear. Really woudlnt have had a clue so thanks so much.
Reply 13
They'll compare them to wherever you sat your GCSEs.

That’s what I wanted to hear, thanks
Reply 14
Original post by SomMC1
It kinda 'helps' you that your Bs were in English rather than something sciency or mathy. At least it's kinda acceptable that you arent as good at English, but unis wont care too much as you wanna study something with maths.

as i said, your Personal Statement (PS) is going to be far more crucial than your two English Bs for unis like UCL or Manchester.

I dont wanna be negative, but perhaps Oxford is a bit out of reach for you with those gcse. Thats not being negative, but rather realistic. It can never hurt to apply there tho, if you got a spare spot on your application.

Yeah my 4 8s were in maths and all 3 sciences so. I guess I’m gonna need a good personal statement then!...
Yeah Oxford was never a place I thought I’d realistically get into it was just a case of apply and if I get in I get in and if I don’t I don’t. I completely understand what you mean though and I’ll defiineitly bare that in mind. You’ve been a great help thanks.
Reply 15
Original post by SomMC1
youre welcome, it's my pleasure. good luck :smile:

Thank you so much
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JKAY_
Wow, thanks for taking the time to give such an excellent and detailed response. It’s really reassuring to hear from someone that was in a similar situation and has clearly made a success of themself. I’m gonna make sure I buckle down and get working. I’m really grateful for the response and I’ll make sure to keep all of you advice in mind. Thanks so much.

Haha, no problem.

One last thing; if you don't get a place where you really want to go, you can always ring them as long as they still have places available through clearing. It's not a guarantee of course, but I rang my university up to explain that I had missed an A* in Maths by one UMS and had a higher average than some people that did end up with an A*. Not sure how maths works now compared to when I was at sixth form, but the grading was quite awkward back then. I assumed it was something they probably overlooked as they must have thousands of applicants and can't analyse each one in detail. And I'm studying here now, so whether it was what I said or the fact I showed the initiative to ring and a real desire to study here, something must've swayed them.
Reply 17
Haha, no problem.

One last thing; if you don't get a place where you really want to go, you can always ring them as long as they still have places available through clearing. It's not a guarantee of course, but I rang my university up to explain that I had missed an A* in Maths by one UMS and had a higher average than some people that did end up with an A*. Not sure how maths works now compared to when I was at sixth form, but the grading was quite awkward back then. I assumed it was something they probably overlooked as they must have thousands of applicants and can't analyse each one in detail. And I'm studying here now, so whether it was what I said or the fact I showed the initiative to ring and a real desire to study here, something must've swayed them.

Oh that’s definitely something I’ll keep in mind. I’m glad it worked out for you. Thanks so much for your help and I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending