The Student Room Group

What’s the bloody point?

Why even volunteer anyway? Seriously, are you guys doing it for the spotlight, the fame, or do you even care about the cause you’re supporting? Do you love it or just do it to get into grad school???

Scroll to see replies

It feels good to help others?

I volunteer at at hospice and most people I know I don’t tell, because I don’t do it for attention. It did look alright on my personal statement but I could have stopped when I submitted it, I didn’t because I actually enjoy it :smile:
Ummm, (desire to know more increases...) how on earth... can you LOVE working in hospice??!??!? You’re either deluded or lying. No offense.
I don’t LOVE it, but I do enjoy the fact that I am helping. My duties are not big at all, and I only go once in a fortnight.
Well, I volunteered as a tutor. Obviously nothing close to e.g. hospice as above, however was still enjoyable being able to help people. Getting paid in seeing other people happy was all I needed. Loved it :smile:
Original post by velvethopes
Well, I volunteered as a tutor. Obviously nothing close to e.g. hospice as above, however was still enjoyable being able to help people. Getting paid in seeing other people happy was all I needed. Loved it :smile:

See, I can see this.. this makes sense. Hospice? Sorry, that’s deluded and illogical! Seriously! But is tutoring for the ppl you tutor... or for your own ego? That’s my biggest question.
I volunteer with a few different things now for a variety of reasons.
I volunteer at a kids group because I 1-2-1 with a kid with special needs and without that they'd quite possibly not be able to let her come because while she enjoys it, she struggles with a lot of it and really needs the individual attention which she wouldn't get if I didn't do that.
I volunteer at another group because I love working with the kids there, because they generally struggle to get enough volunteers to run what they want to do, because I enjoy working with the main person who runs it and also it gets me out of something else I don't enjoy :colondollar:
Finally, I volunteer at TSR, firstly because I was asked a couple of years ago but now because the people on team are really lovely to be around and it's given me opportunities I probably never would have had elsewhere and I enjoy the stuff I do as part of it.

So yeah I get a lot of enjoyment out of the stuff I do and it also has a really positive impact on my mental health (I can definitely notice when I haven't done it for a while), so if I can help people while doing things I enjoy then it's definitely worth it for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
I volunteer at a kids group because I 1-2-1 with a kid with special needs and without that they'd quite possibly not be able to let her come because while she enjoys it, she struggles with a lot of it and really needs the individual attention which she wouldn't get if I didn't do that.
I volunteer at another group because I love working with the kids there, because they generally struggle to get enough volunteers to run what they want to do, because I enjoy working with the main person who runs it and also it gets me out of something else I don't enjoy :colondollar:
Finally, I volunteer at TSR, firstly because I was asked a couple of years ago but now because the people on team are really lovely to be around and it's given me opportunities I probably never would have had elsewhere and I enjoy the stuff I do as part of it.

So yeah I get a lot of enjoyment out of the stuff I do and it also has a really positive impact on my mental health (I can definitely notice when I haven't done it for a while), so if I can help people while doing things I enjoy then it's definitely worth it for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A positive impact on your own mental health is one of the REALEST answers I’ve heard on here yet. Thank you for your input. And before I thank you for your volunteerism, if it benefits your own mental health, is that not a selfish reason to volunteer in the first place? Is it a double edged sword? Where you get a benefit and they seem to do too? Please explain!!!
This reminds me of the Friends episode where Phoebe struggles to show Joey a selfless good deed.
Original post by GCSE pupil
This reminds me of the Friends episode where Phoebe struggles to show Joey a selfless good deed.

Yaaassssss!!!!!! I love friends and know that episode!!! Joeys my boy!
Original post by HopefulAgony37
Yaaassssss!!!!!! I love friends and know that episode!!! Joeys my boy!

As soon as I saw your question I thought of it!!!! I love Friends as well!!
Original post by Lemur14

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, can I ask, what’s it like to volunteer for TSR support? What are the qualifications? And do you get fulfilled by it? I’d love to someday be a TSR support rep!! What’s the process like?
I volunteer at the local food bank and at my local homeless shelter.
I do it because at 70 years old, I remember leaving care at 15 years old in 1963, and being homeless.
Being homeless, with no food and being treated as if you are invisible is a feeling never to be forgotten.
Original post by Seamus123
I volunteer at the local food bank and at my local homeless shelter.
I do it because at 70 years old, I remember leaving care at 15 years old in 1963, and being homeless.
Being homeless, with no food and being treated as if you are invisible is a feeling never to be forgotten.

Ok now this is something I can get behind! 70? I give you so much credit. Seriously this is the type of input I’ve been looking for. Thank you!!!
So it IS for other people!? Not your personal gain?
(edited 5 years ago)
It’s OK for people to volunteer even if it’s just to add credence to get into uni or for any other reason. It’s a means to an end.
Everyone wins.
It furthers the individual in their ultimate goal of getting where they want to be, and for those receiving voluntary help, such as in a hospice, they are nearing the end of their lives and have more to concern them than who is feeding them or holding their hand in their last moments - just that someone is doing it.
Reply 15
See, I can see this.. this makes sense. Hospice? Sorry, that’s deluded and illogical! Seriously! But is tutoring for the ppl you tutor... or for your own ego? That’s my biggest question.

Just because you don’t like the idea doesn’t mean others don’t find satisfaction in it. You are being very ignorant here.
Your attitude is appalling.
Original post by Bio 7
Just because you don’t like the idea doesn’t mean others don’t find satisfaction in it. You are being very ignorant here.

Appalling or real? It’s all about perspective...
Reply 18
Appalling or real? It’s all about perspective...

You come across as self-absorbed in this thread.
Original post by Bio 7
You come across as self-absorbed in this thread.

I’m self-absorbed? Questioning the source of motivation for others’ charity? I’m simply inquiring about the drive others have for good deeds! If my inquisition makes me self-absorbed then that is your opinion! And a weak one at that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending