The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Cambridge FAQ

Poll

What are your plans after rejection?

Hello! I've been recieving a lot of PMs from people asking me about my experience in reapplying to Cambridge, so I decided to create a post about it and hopefully it will answer most questions!

I will be describing everything from my experience, especially for my own course, and so what I say will be more meaningful to some, but in general the process will be similar for everyone. @NeverLucky has already made a general post about reapplying:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4562302#primary_content

About me

Spoiler

My academic stuff (not very interesting)

Spoiler

My first Cambridge application (and what went wrong lol)

Spoiler

My decision to reapply

Spoiler

How I prepared for my A levels

Spoiler

My second Cambridge application

Spoiler

How I prepared for my ENGAA

Spoiler

Why I decided to do a whole year's work placement instead of preparing for my Cambridge application first and starting my job after interviews, etc.

Spoiler

My work placement

Spoiler

Was it difficult seeing my friends go off to uni?

Spoiler

Did I have trouble getting offers the 2nd time round from other unis?

Spoiler

Do I think it is worth making a reapplication?

Spoiler

Did I have to detail what I did in my gap year in my reapplication? (did they ask me at interview/did I change my PS)

Spoiler

Welp this was one big massive post (but actually didn't take me that long to put together as I've said a lot of these things on TSR already, so just a copy-paste job lmao). I hope this can help people to make a more informed decision about reapplying to Cambridge, especially if you are undecided about it! Free free to ask me anymore questions :biggrin:
---

Some interesting FOIs

Spoiler

Tagging some people

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is so helpful, thank you so much!
Reply 2
I think any people who were rejected from Queens Eng should read this to see what they were up against! Well done, very interesting post and it sounds like you turned your rejection into a positive thing.

One of the FOI links does not work though.
when did you move to the uk
Reply 4
Original post by TCL
I think any people who were rejected from Queens Eng should read this to see what they were up against! Well done, very interesting post and it sounds like you turned your rejection into a positive thing.

One of the FOI links does not work though.

Aw hahaha thank you!
And another point to make is that most of Queens' engineering places are already taken up by deffered candidates from the previous year, making it more difficult to get in for direct entry.
And whoops fixed that now, thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tesconyc
when did you move to the uk

2007 when I was 6 years old
Original post by xiaochen
2007 when I was 6 years old

Hong Kong?
Did you realise they had changed paper 2 of the engaa before the test? Or did u feel confused af when they told in the exam that paper 2 was multi choice
Reply 8
Hong Kong?

Singaporean
Reply 9
Original post by lconlon13
Did you realise they had changed paper 2 of the engaa before the test? Or did u feel confused af when they told in the exam that paper 2 was multi choice

I knew they had changed it, but I didn't know how they had changed it so the new format was a complete surprise.
Singaporean

your parents own a Chinese takeaway?
Reply 11
your parents own a Chinese takeaway?

😂😂😂😂How did you know?????

(they don't lmao)
Singaporean

Hi fellow Singaporean!! I'm from sg too :smile:
Hi! was wondering if i should apply to the same college or a different one cos I heard that reapplying to the same college is discouraged because the interviewers might remember you but i had my first interview in Singapore and am planning to apply for an interview in Cambridge for the second time round so it shouldn't be the same interviewer and anyways my first interviewer was from another college...
Reply 14
Original post by puravi
Hi! was wondering if i should apply to the same college or a different one cos I heard that reapplying to the same college is discouraged because the interviewers might remember you but i had my first interview in Singapore and am planning to apply for an interview in Cambridge for the second time round so it shouldn't be the same interviewer and anyways my first interviewer was from another college...

Some feedback from Cambridge may mention that they do not mind if you reapply to the same college - but of course if you got to the interview stage (at Cambridge) and you didn't do so well the first time then they may remember you, which isn't the case for you. So I think it should be fine for you to reapply to the same college. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to reapply to the same college I applied to the first time even though I didn't even get an interview because I emailed the admissions officer so much (especially when I got rejected and emailed her to ask if they could give me another chance LOL) so I was like nahhhh I'm not reapplying to Trinity College again. Besides, Queens' (and Jesus) like gap year engineering (and maybe other courses, you'll have to look it up) applicants and some other colleges look positively on it, others are neutral about it (see the course description on each college website) - and also the Queens' admissions process suited me a lot better since I could bring along a project to show. Each college has a different interview process, so you may find one, other than the college you originally applied to, that matches your strengths more!

Some examples off the top of my head (for engineering):

Queens': Bring a project to interview
Emmanuel: Research a given topic beforehand to discuss at interview
Trinity, Downing, St Johns and a few others: Maths/physics at interview test (why would you do this)
Christ's and Peterhouse: STEP I (whyyyyyy)
King's: Seminar and then written assessment on what you learned in the seminar
Some feedback from Cambridge may mention that they do not mind if you reapply to the same college - but of course if you got to the interview stage (at Cambridge) and you didn't do so well the first time then they may remember you, which isn't the case for you. So I think it should be fine for you to reapply to the same college. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to reapply to the same college I applied to the first time even though I didn't even get an interview because I emailed the admissions officer so much (especially when I got rejected and emailed her to ask if they could give me another chance LOL) so I was like nahhhh I'm not reapplying to Trinity College again. Besides, Queens' (and Jesus) like gap year engineering (and maybe other courses, you'll have to look it up) applicants and some other colleges look positively on it, others are neutral about it (see the course description on each college website) - and also the Queens' admissions process suited me a lot better since I could bring along a project to show. Each college has a different interview process, so you may find one, other than the college you originally applied to, that matches your strengths more!

Some examples off the top of my head (for engineering):

Queens': Bring a project to interview
Emmanuel: Research a given topic beforehand to discuss at interview
Trinity, Downing, St Johns and a few others: Maths/physics at interview test (why would you do this)
Christ's and Peterhouse: STEP I (whyyyyyy)
King's: Seminar and then written assessment on what you learned in the seminar

ok! thanks so much for the info. I'll probably be reapplying to Murray edwards for medicine in the next UCAS cycle so fingers crossed xx
Reply 16
Original post by puravi
ok! thanks so much for the info. I'll probably be reapplying to Murray edwards for medicine in the next UCAS cycle so fingers crossed xx

Good luck!!! Let me know how it goes! xx
that is amazing!! :gah:
you are brilliant and completely deserve the offer with the amount of work you've put in :yep:
personally wouldn't reapply because of my current financial situation, but might apply if i'm going to do a postgrad in the uk :dontknow: idk.. once was enough for me :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 18
Original post by nyxnko_
that is amazing!! :gah:
you are brilliant and completely deserve the offer with the amount of work you've put in :yep:
personally wouldn't reapply because of my current financial situation, but might apply if i'm going to do a postgrad in the uk :dontknow: idk.. once was enough for me :tongue:

Spoiler

Ahh thank you so much!!!
Yeah I know what you mean, but thankfully I am eligible for local fees and SFE and maintenance loan!

Spoiler

Ahh thank you so much!!!
Yeah I know what you mean, but thankfully I am eligible for local fees and SFE and maintenance loan!

Spoiler

:hugs:
and i am so jealous! :lol:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending