The Student Room Group

Driving car once a week bad?

I'm new to driving and due to working in the city it would be too much of a hassle to drive to work.
For that reason i can only drive my car every weekend, from my research this will be bad in the long term and will shorten the life of the oil and car battery. I live in London so having a car isn't imperative but i wanted one to keep my driving skills healthy and of course to have it on stand by if its ever needed but i'm concerned its lack of use will ironically cost me more than if i drove it everyday.

It's only a 1.2 petrol if that makes a difference so it does get up to operating temperature fairly quickly.
Dunno, do you enjoy driving? Nothing stopping you going out for spin when it's quieter during the week.

I passed right before last winter, so weather and conditions sucked and i didn't have any places i HAD to drive to so the car just kind of sat there, but I found it started draining my confidence really quickly and I had to throw myself back into it and find reasons to go driving.
I do enjoy driving (non rush hour times) just that after working 9 - 5 i have no time to take it for a spin in the week and am too tired. So i can only do saturday and sundays but i've read that lack of use is very unhealthy for the car and components will turn rusty.
Original post by chosenone93
I'm new to driving and due to working in the city it would be too much of a hassle to drive to work.
For that reason i can only drive my car every weekend, from my research this will be bad in the long term and will shorten the life of the oil and car battery. I live in London so having a car isn't imperative but i wanted one to keep my driving skills healthy and of course to have it on stand by if its ever needed but i'm concerned its lack of use will ironically cost me more than if i drove it everyday.

It's only a 1.2 petrol if that makes a difference so it does get up to operating temperature fairly quickly.

I can’t see how it will shorten the life of your oil. Oil only has to be changed when you have exceeded a certain mileage between oil changes. You battery can be topped up using an electric charger. Tyres can crack and perish but only after 12 or more months of not using your car at all.
If anything you’re probably preserving and prolonging the life of your car. Using it once a week will keep it healthy :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
I live in zone 6 and commute to work by train so my car sits on the drive all week doing nothing. I often do 200-400 miles in a weekend no problem, as well as the odd mid-week trip here and there in the evening.
Reply 5
Once a week is fine if they are longer journeys. A few miles at a time won't do it any favours. You might want to keep it on a charger in the winter to prevent the battery dying in the colder weather.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending