The Student Room Group

4400+ calories a day and I'm not gaining weight

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ciel.
I've been underweight for years, and I'm perfectly healthy.

youre not, why would it be called underweight if it was optimal?
Reply 21
Original post by Student1191
Underweight also disgusting

No, it isn't. We are not talking about "on the verge of death" underweight here.

Also, the OP isn't even underweight - his BMI is 19.2. Still healthy.
Reply 22
Original post by Gent2324
youre not, why would it be called underweight if it was optimal?

Because people are dumb and need to label everything. Besides, the OP isn't even underweight.
Original post by Anonymous
I already said this, but I did a running total rather than putting how much each meal is worth individually

You not even underweight. Your BMI according to the NHS calculator is healthy.
Underweight by what measurement? Don't GPs usually go by BMI (which isn't exactly the most reliable thing anyway, although I'd imagine it's more accurate at lower weights since it's usually muscle mass that throws BMI measurements off) to determine this? The BMI calc on the NHS's own website claims you're a healthy weight. Even at 18 you'd be considered a healthy weight, the 'healthy weight' range at 18, considering your height is 65.4-88.4KG, this is information directly from the NHS themselves.

I'm not sure what your GP is doing, but my best guess is that he's seen that you're close to being considered underweight as far as BMI goes (the weight range shifts a bit from 17 to 18) and is trying to get you to gain weight. What I can't understand is why your GP has told you that you're underweight as opposed to saying you're close to being considered underweight.
(edited 5 years ago)
read the thread
Original post by kurro
What did you use to calculate the calories?

And as I asked before, 'Do you also work out a lot? Or do any activities during the week? As that can burn off a lot of calories. And there is also something called BMR which varies for different people. Calculate your BMR too. '

I went to see a dietitian who helped formulate the diet I currently have.

I think I said this before but I'm not overly active (no more than 20 or 30 minutes a day)

BMI tests aren't always accurate so I don't like doing them...
I went to see a dietitian who helped formulate the diet I currently have.

I think I said this before but I'm not overly active (no more than 20 or 30 minutes a day)

BMI tests aren't always accurate so I don't like doing them...

a dietician suggested that you eat chips, doughnuts and cheesestrings?
i think a big problem that you have is that youre eating too much junk food. try and replace the fish and chips with some quinoa or lentils or something, youre not eating much fruit aswell.
i do love me a 4300 calorie chocolate bar
Original post by Gent2324
a dietician suggested that you eat chips, doughnuts and cheesestrings?

No I added the doughnuts in myself :smile:
No I added the doughnuts in myself :smile:

mm well its certainly quite strange and you must have high as **** metabolism, maybe hit the gym too and start weightlifting?
That's a good question as I do get sweaty all the time, even in winter. I don't think I have hyperthyroidism though as my blood test results were fine the last time I had one, which was recently.
has your go actually told you to gain?

some people are naturally slim and underweight, especially if you're young or your parents are thin it's not necessarily a health concern

Quick Reply

Latest