The Student Room Group

Account has been blocked due to information held by Cifas

I am a student in my first year of university and I had both a student account and a normal current account with Santander. I found out today that my accounts have been closed apparently due to fraudulent activity, which makes no sense since I have only used it to pay my accomodation and groceries, etc. I was sent a letter that it is due to information that Cifas have on me and I have filled out the form for the data subject access. I need to open up a bank account to receive my student loan and money sent from my parents and I also have a phone contract and I am not sure what to do if I do have a marker with Cifas, how can I fight it and get my name off?
Original post by Nicole SM
I am a student in my first year of university and I had both a student account and a normal current account with Santander. I found out today that my accounts have been closed apparently due to fraudulent activity, which makes no sense since I have only used it to pay my accomodation and groceries, etc. I was sent a letter that it is due to information that Cifas have on me and I have filled out the form for the data subject access. I need to open up a bank account to receive my student loan and money sent from my parents and I also have a phone contract and I am not sure what to do if I do have a marker with Cifas, how can I fight it and get my name off?

You need to speak to your bank about all this.
Reply 2
does anyone else have details to your bank account?

Have you been through your bank statements and noticed anything out of the ordinary?

Contacting your bank should be your first course of action.

You should still be able to open a bank account and a phone contract as far as I know, but the CIFAs marker may be picked up during a credit check. You can still open but you may be required to further prove your identity.
(edited 5 years ago)

Open a basic bank account. You'll have no overdraft access and your debit card might be restricted to online terminals only, e.g. no pay at pump for you.
Reply 5
Original post by Rock Fan
You need to speak to your bank about all this.

Unlikely bank will enter any discussion around it.

OP should contact CIFAS first to query what the marker is and work to get it removed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending