The Student Room Group

Went for interview but interviewer says he will offer a job later?

Hi I went to an interview last Friday and had feedback yesterday about it but the interviewer said he would offer a different position later on next month.

Has anyone been in this position where they didn't receive a job offer after the interview...but did later in the end?
Original post by AngelsandFairies
Hi I went to an interview last Friday and had feedback yesterday about it but the interviewer said he would offer a different position later on next month.

Has anyone been in this position where they didn't receive a job offer after the interview...but did later in the end?

Presumably this is to you?

Its not incommon i you either didnt get the main job or werent a good fit they then try and keep hold of you and match you to something else.
Original post by 999tigger
Presumably this is to you?

@AngelsandFairies

I was personally in the same situation as well, but changed my mind later when they did offer a different position as it didn't meet my overall career goals.
OP @AngelsandFairies you should really think whether this would be a right fit for you and your career.
Original post by BritishGirl
I was personally in the same situation as well, but changed my mind later when they did offer a different position as it didn't meet my overall career goals.
OP @AngelsandFairies you should really think whether this would be a right fit for you and your career.

Hopefully its positive and the new job is better suited to what she was looking for. Just have to wait and see, then assess with an open mind. Its better than a rejection.
Hey, this isn’t that strange. If they see that you’re a good fit for another role, why wouldn’t they offer you that vacancy? Just depends if that other role is what you want :smile:

Hi there,

This is quite common, it might be that you didn't have the skills and experience they were looking for in that specific job that you interviewed for but feel that you would fit another role better.

It's entirely up to you a to whether or not you accept the alternative job offer, if it's not what you want to do in terms of your overall career it might help for you to be looking for alternative jobs in the meantime.

Thanks - Sophie.
I had a similar situation happen this week.

I applied for a position and had a phone interview where it was explained that my experience might suit a more generalist role. I looked through the responsibilities and felt it didn't represent my career ambitions so said I'd be more comfortable continuing with the initial position.

Anyway, the interview comes and towards the end the person mentioned it again, seemingly hinting that she still thinks I'd be more suitable for it.

Like me, I think you should consider whether the one they offer next month matches up with your career ambitions. That's the most important thing.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Hopefully its positive and the new job is better suited to what she was looking for. Just have to wait and see, then assess with an open mind. Its better than a rejection.

Hi thank you for your advice.

Sorry a little background here...
I got headhunted for the role by the Managing Director who owns a recruitment business.

The position he interviewed me for was originally for a business development type of position as he initially thought I would be a good fit for it to help his business.
However due to lack of experience in this area and my personal circumstances (I can only work part time at the moment as it stands) he is unable to offer the position.

But when he gave me feedback after the interview, he said that I can work in the compliance division
/department instead as I have current and previous extensive experience in this area - although this may mean I would have to wait another 6-8 weeks when he has capacity (whatever that means?) 🤔🤷🏻*♀️

At this stage I'm not too bothered if it doesn't meet my career aspirations as I want to build as much experience as I can.
Hi thank you for your advice.

Sorry a little background here...
I got headhunted for the role by the Managing Director who owns a recruitment business.

The position he interviewed me for was originally for a business development type of position as he initially thought I would be a good fit for it to help his business.
However due to lack of experience in this area and my personal circumstances (I can only work part time at the moment as it stands) he is unable to offer the position.

But when he gave me feedback after the interview, he said that I can work in the compliance division
/department instead as I have current and previous extensive experience in this area - although this may mean I would have to wait another 6-8 weeks when he has capacity (whatever that means?) 🤔🤷🏻*♀️

At this stage I'm not too bothered if it doesn't meet my career aspirations as I want to build as much experience as I can.

Okay thats better as it shows he has power to make decisions, nuit he needs a think about it and then would need to talk to people (compliance) to work out how to fit you in. I tend to take recruitment with a pijc of slat though, so just have an open mind and if t suits take it and if soemthing better comes along before then take that. just put it to one side. Soemthing or nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending