The Student Room Group

Options: too much work or good mix?

Heya,

I'm currently choosing my A-level subjects and so far I think I've got the perfect collection. My problem lies in the fact that I've already had to drop 2 subjects at GCSE level due to my stress and poor mental health so I'm not sure how I'd cope with doing 4 A-levels. I disliked the two GCSEs I dropped whereas I actually get good grades and enjoy the subjects I want to take at A-level. I'm thinking of taking:

Biology
Psychology
Philosophy
Law

Do you think I could get away with all of these subjects or is the work load for them too much?

Thank you,
Rynn x
Original post by RynnRiot
Heya,

I'm currently choosing my A-level subjects and so far I think I've got the perfect collection. My problem lies in the fact that I've already had to drop 2 subjects at GCSE level due to my stress and poor mental health so I'm not sure how I'd cope with doing 4 A-levels. I disliked the two GCSEs I dropped whereas I actually get good grades and enjoy the subjects I want to take at A-level. I'm thinking of taking:

Biology
Psychology
Philosophy
Law

Do you think I could get away with all of these subjects or is the work load for them too much?

Thank you,
Rynn x

Hi Rynn, I don't really know what would be the advantage of doing 4 A levels over 3 when no Unis require them and it's extra stress that you don't need? You say that you have needed to drop 2 GCSEs so I think you should go easy on yourself and choose the 3 A levels that interest you the most. Do you have any ideas at all yet about what you might like to do in the future, say at Uni?
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
Hi Rynn, I don't really know what would be the advantage of doing 4 A levels over 3 when no Unis require them and it's extra stress that you don't need? You say that you have needed to drop 2 GCSEs so I think you should go easy on yourself and choose the 3 A levels that interest you the most. Do you have any ideas at all yet about what you might like to do in the future, say at Uni?

I'm not really sure what i want to do at University but I'd like to go into a medical/law field and possibly do psychology and neuroscience at degree level. I'm not sure which one i would drop but I've never taken Law before so i suppose that one? Thank you for your help
Psych degrees commonly have a maths A-Level requirement. Med has its own requirements. Neuroscience has similar requirements to med. Law has no requirements.

So do maths with chem and bio. That will get you into psy/med/neuro, and law.
Original post by RynnRiot
I'm not really sure what i want to do at University but I'd like to go into a medical/law field and possibly do psychology and neuroscience at degree level. I'm not sure which one i would drop but I've never taken Law before so i suppose that one? Thank you for your help

If you want to go into the medical/law field then philosophy I think would be the one to drop. Also make sure you're researching some courses that you may be interested in because a lot of medical courses ask for Chemistry at A level. Bearing that in mind, and also that neither psychology nor philosophy are requirements to study medical/law or even psychology degrees (a quick check shows that Manchester for example asks for any science for a psychology degree) then you may consider dropping one of those, or dropping one and switching the other for Chemistry. However, psychology is easier than chemistry, even though you'll be more restricted in your choices of degrees later... so it's for you to weigh up.

Best of luck!
Original post by Notoriety
Psych degrees commonly have a maths A-Level requirement. Med has its own requirements. Neuroscience has similar requirements to med. Law has no requirements.

So do maths with chem and bio. That will get you into psy/med/neuro, and law.

Sorry to disagree with you about this but most Psychology degrees do not require A level maths, so OP doesn't have to worry about this (a few do but it would be very easy to find ones that don't). There is quite a lot of stats at degree level, but most Unis consider GCSE maths to be sufficient preparation for this.

As you say, Law has no requirements so that would be a reasonable A level to drop, even if they later decided that they wanted to go into Law.
Sorry to disagree with you about this but most Psychology degrees do not require A level maths, so OP doesn't have to worry about this (a few do but it would be very easy to find ones that don't). There is quite a lot of stats at degree level, but most Unis consider GCSE maths to be sufficient preparation for this.

As you say, Law has no requirements so that would be a reasonable A level to drop, even if they later decided that they wanted to go into Law.

Commonly =/= most.

If OP is aiming for med or even neuro, I imagine they have the grades such that they're look at the pickier psych courses.
Commonly =/= most.

If OP is aiming for med or even neuro, I imagine they have the grades such that they're look at the pickier psych courses.

Even lots of RG Unis don't ask for A level Maths so it's really not worth choosing Maths unless you like it...
Even lots of RG Unis don't ask for A level Maths so it's really not worth choosing Maths unless you like it...

Perhaps I could have been clearer. A lot of the pickier psych unis seem to have a de facto preference for maths at A-Level -- which might fall just a bit short of a requirement.

I wouldn't say the RGs are the "picky unis"; most of them are not that special. Going off Which Uni, courses in which "maths" is one of the three most common A-Level subjects of students enrolled:

Cambridge, Warwick, Oxford, Glasgow, KCL, Durham, UCL.

Then remember that OP might want to leave open the possibility of medicine, and would want the most academic subject combos possible to remain as competitive as possible.
Perhaps I could have been clearer. A lot of the pickier psych unis seem to have a de facto preference for maths at A-Level -- which might fall just a bit short of a requirement.

I wouldn't say the RGs are the "picky unis"; most of them are not that special. Going off Which Uni, courses in which "maths" is one of the three most common A-Level subjects of students enrolled:

Cambridge, Warwick, Oxford, Glasgow, KCL, Durham, UCL.

Then remember that OP might want to leave open the possibility of medicine, and would want the most academic subject combos possible to remain as competitive as possible.

You lawyers...

Can we agree that the top Unis expect applicants to have one (or less frequently, two) subjects like Maths...or Biology.. or Psychology (which they classify as a Science), and the OP will be fine as he has already chosen 2 of those preferred subjects? To my knowledge, it is only Cambridge that states a specific maths requirement for a Psychology degree, although no doubt you will tell me if I am wrong :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest