The Student Room Group

Importance of university ranking

I’m currently in my second year studying business and marketing management at Wolverhampton university, despite having the option to go to better rep unis like Essex and Liverpool (as I had good enough grades to go to both) I decided to go to wolverhampton. So far I have achieve a solid number of firsts my modules aswell as the odd 2:1, which makes me ponder wether the reputation of a uni is all that. From a postgraduate point of view does the university rank really matter or is it the grade you finish with? I ask this question as I’m beginning to worry thst I won’t get a strong job in my industry. Thanks
Original post by Klazza123
I’m currently in my second year studying business and marketing management at Wolverhampton university, despite having the option to go to better rep unis like Essex and Liverpool (as I had good enough grades to go to both) I decided to go to wolverhampton. So far I have achieve a solid number of firsts my modules aswell as the odd 2:1, which makes me ponder wether the reputation of a uni is all that. From a postgraduate point of view does the university rank really matter or is it the grade you finish with? I ask this question as I’m beginning to worry thst I won’t get a strong job in my industry. Thanks

I don't think there's much of a difference in reputation between the universities you've listed. None of them are particularly known for business/marketing. Neither are particularly difficult to gain admission either, so I really wouldn't worry about the fact you picked Wolves over the rest.

Your classification is the generally the only requirement for postgraduate programmes.

Also, your work experience/internships/classification matter a lot more than the name of the university on your CV.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
Depends on the industry you want to work in and also the location.

If you are looking to work in the Midlands, Wolverhampton will be far more familiar to recruiters than other similar ranked universities.

Ye that’s what I was thinking, I know people who went to wolverhampton thst got straight A’s at sixth form and have ended up in reallt secure jobs, im just starting to get this feeling in the back of my head thst I chose the wrong university. I hear people mentioning reputation all of the time but really from my experience it doesn’t seem that important. So hearing it from other people is reallt assuring thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
I don't think there's much of a difference in reputation between the universities you've listed. None of them are particularly known for business/marketing. Neither are particularly difficult to gain admission either, so I really wouldn't worry about the fact you picked Wolves over the rest.

Your classification is the generally the only requirement for postgraduate programmes.

Also, your work experience/internships/classification matter a lot more than the name of the university on your CV.

Ye that’s what I was thinking, I know wolverhampton has really good employment rates something like 96% of graduates after sixth months and they offer lots of career help, so i’ll Definetly get the experience I needed. One of the reasons I mentioned this topic is that one of my mates has acc switched unis during his 2nd year which makes me think I. Could do the same, but I don’t really see the need to especially when I’m comfortable getting good grades at a uni with a proven record for getting graduates good jobs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending