The Student Room Group

Do not apply to mu varna

Hey guys I just wanted to start this discussion to talk about my life as a 3rd year medical student in medical university of varna and why I would NOT recommend it to anyone.
This is now the SECOND time I have not been able to sit one of my exams because of the disgusting lack of organisation of the uni. The first time me and a friend were told directly by the students office that our exam would be on the 10th October 2018....only to find out less than a week before our exam that the actual date was on the 28th September 2018! which meant that we had missed our exam and needed to sit it in February 2019. We confronted students office about this, and as you can imagine, we were very upset. They told us to "get out of the office" and that we were "liars" !! Not only did they not take ANY responsibility whatsoever but they had the nerve to BLAME US.
Now that it is February 2019 and AGAIN 1 week before my exam, I've been notified that in fact my exam will not be on the 8th February (which is one of the many dates they had available and is the date I HAD SIGNED UP FOR and the ONLY date I would be able to sit the exam before I flew back to London) but in fact I will need to sit it on the 5th February which I CAN NOT!! who's going to Pay £200 for my wasted flight ticket? because I sure as hell know the university could not give a damn.
My friend also had foot surgery and presented the students office with a letter from the hospital as to why she couldn't attend classes (which is, according to the university scheme, a valid way to avoid paying for missed classes) and the students office initially agreed she would NOT need to pay, only for her to be told WEEKS later that in fact they never "received" the letter and that she would have to pay for EVERY CLASS MISSED.

There are 3 or 4 people working in the students office at any one time and I Have never in my 3 years of university ever been nicely talked to, as goes for my friends and fellow students. They are incredibly rude, grumpy and argumentative and they unfortunately, control EVERY aspect of the life of students in the university.
honestly the list goes on and on.....but one thing is for certain.AVOID.

All in all, this university only cares about accepting as many students as possible (and taking their MONEY) with zero regard to the current students who are suffering because of the result of their greediness. I honestly hope the other medical universities in Bulgaria aren't like this for everyone's sake.

None the least I will NOT be returning to university in September but will find another Bulgarian or international medical university to transfer to!
:smile:
Reply 1
Sorry to hear about your experiences. I've heard from friends that Varna is badly organised, but I had no idea it was as bad as you describe.

From what I've heard, I believe the only three medical schools in Bulgaria that you should consider are Sofia, Plovdiv and Pleven. Bulgaria is probably one of (if not the) best country in Eastern Europe for Medicine when you factor in tuition fees, living costs and quality of education. So I would encourage you to stay in the country instead of looking further afield.
Original post by asif007
Sorry to hear about your experiences. I've heard from friends that Varna is badly organised, but I had no idea it was as bad as you describe.

From my understanding, conversing with students at these other institutions, I don't think you'll likely to find Pleven, Sofia and Plovdiv any more 'organised' than Varna. They too have a host of similar problems. Look back in these forums and you'll see a ton of negativity surrounding Sofia and its corruption charges.
Reply 3
Original post by willyboy500
From my understanding, conversing with students at these other institutions, I don't think you'll likely to find Pleven, Sofia and Plovdiv any more 'organised' than Varna. They too have a host of similar problems. Look back in these forums and you'll see a ton of negativity surrounding Sofia and its corruption charges.

Fair enough. That still leaves Plovdiv and Pleven, both very popular with British students. I know people at both places who have never had a problem, and other people who find problems with everything little thing. Studying in another country is what you make of it.

There are pros and cons to each place but I think they’re definitely not all as bad as each other.
Weird how I've had my previous post deleted in refutation of the OP's post about them taking their exams in the RE-SIT period and not the official exam periods; any justification for this?!
ould i just cancel it?Im considering studying abroad, is varna really that bad? Whats the socail life like their? How many british students per year? Thanks
Reply 6
I study in Varna and am incredibly happy. Uni is a bit unorganized but it is not too bad in my experience. You get tu study close to the beach and have a lot of amazing proffessors. The social life is really nice as well, it depends on what you make of it. The people who are unhappy here are mostly a bit close minded and antisocial and don’t really appreciate the opportunity they were denied in their home country and get here. So if you are planning on moving to a really cool place Varna is really nice
Reply 7
Chuf. I think the social aspect would be awesome but I’m concerned about the course. Dentistry isn’t really the type of course that can get away with being disorganised because at the end of the day it’s important that patients get the best care possible. How are the clinical sessions? And the practical training? I can deal with poor lectures/seminars from time to time but if the clinical teaching is bad then that’s concerning
Reply 8
I'm a US student that decided to continue my med education in Bulgaria (MU Varna) and I def made a great decision. Living cost is extremely cheap, social life is awesome, med education I great. MU Varna has the best technology available out there, u get to study hands on. The staff (including Assistant professors, secretary, professors, etc) care about u as a person and will do anything to help u out IF YOU SHOW THAT YOU ARE RESPECTFUL AND CARE ABOUT YOUR EDUCATION.

But after all the decision where to apply is completely up to you; don't take my word for it - go to the open days, have one-on-one convo with current students and professors. Then make an informed decision.

The school and the country as a whole is completely underrated :smile:
Original post by alaxias
The Study Medicine Europe bring me in Bulgaria, they took me to the hotel and that's it. They do not care about their students, they do nothing for me. It was very difficult for me not to know the city, I did not know where the university is...... THE STUDY MEDICINE EUROPE LEFT ME ALONE !!!

Sorry to hear about you, i am studying medicine from Varna. and i took admission here because Study Medicine Europe has suggested me for this, i have no idea why Study Medicine Europe left you alone, but with me everything is okay, as they promised they are helping and guiding me whenever i get stuck here with any situation . i will recommend you to contact your city manager if you need any suggestion from me then PM me and i will try to help you out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending