The Student Room Group

Is this legal? (Landlord)

So I live in a houseshare with 8 other people and there is mold everywhere, you can smell it and it's also in some rooms where it's just covered with some sort of plastic wall covering. Adding to that we have no control over the heating which I found out is illegal but he stated it in the contract (assured shorthold tenancy agreement) so I'm not sure if that makes it fine. I was fine with it upon signing but now it's cold outside and we get max. 4-5h of heating a day in a massive house.
Another thing I'm not too sure about is the oven. It's a gas oven which usually turns on using electricity and which usually has a working grill and light as well but the only thing that's working is the gas so we have to reach inside the oven and light it which to me seems like a pretty dangerous thing to do every day and we are also pretty sure that the oven is leaking gas as it always stinks up the kitchen and makes the food taste funny.
The contract says: "Keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the Premises."
An oven is an installation so he is breaking the contract by not maintaining it properly or is there an exception for stuff like that?
I remember when we asked him he said he's just responsible to keep the gas save and that he has nothing to do with electricity which I do not believe as both are equally as important.
One more thing I only recently noticed is that the smoke detectors in the house are all out of date. Doesn't that break some safety guidelines?
Those are the main issues we are facing right now. Also the dishwasher we have doesn't work and never got repaired.
It's not like we haven't talked to our landlord about this.
We have asked him about the heating multiple times and he just gets unprofessional and mad and will tell us that the heating is "sufficient" which it's obviously not. At night it reaches temperatures below 10°C. One time the toilet broke and started leaking and we asked him to fix it straight away as we as tenants have to report stuff like that immediately but he just got mad and told us to never break it again.

Is there anyone who has experience with this or might even work at a council or something? I wanna get out of my contract before the 12 month period and am scared to be stuck in that house.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending