The Student Room Group

Uni accommodation (halls) want rent paid in august

Hi,
I'm in the second year and going back into private halls this year as it was easier for me as everything was all in, however, they have emailed me today saying that I have overdue rent of £1,500 when I've already paid £100 saying that they can't move forward with the move in process without this money. When I signed the contract the dates they provided for rent payments had one date that seemed odd but other than that it all made sense, I went to the portal today and the dates I have changed and I'm not sure what to do. I won't be able to pay (I am working ) it until September which is now stressing me out as I don't know what to do, I have found all my flatmates on social media and they all seem lovely and my uni city is very limited on private accommodation or student accommodation at all so if I don't have this place I might be stuck. I have called and the line was busy and now I'm stressed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Do you have a copy of the contract that you signed?
Original post by georgiac2
Hi,
I'm in the second year and going back into private halls this year as it was easier for me as everything was all in, however, they have emailed me today saying that I have overdue rent of £1,500 when I've already paid £100 saying that they can't move forward with the move in process without this money. When I signed the contract the dates they provided for rent payments had one date that seemed odd but other than that it all made sense, I went to the portal today and the dates I have changed and I'm not sure what to do. I won't be able to pay (I am working ) it until September which is now stressing me out as I don't know what to do, I have found all my flatmates on social media and they all seem lovely and my uni city is very limited on private accommodation or student accommodation at all so if I don't have this place I might be stuck. I have called and the line was busy and now I'm stressed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey there @georgiac2 !
Refer back to your tenancy agreement and see what it says. If your signed agreement has a set of four dates on it and you signed it at that time then I don't believe they're just allowed to change the dates without letting you know. It is fairly normal to have to pay your first rent instalment before you've moved in however it is not normal for them to change the rent payment dates when you've already signed the contract. The only exception I could see to that was if there is a clause in your tenancy agreement that states that the landlord reserves the right to change the rent payments at any time but even then I've never heard of a landlord doing that and I assume you read through your tenancy agreement before signing it.

If your tenancy agreement has a certain set of rent payment dates in it then it is a legally binding contract and all you need to do is forward your tenancy agreement on to them over email and say 'these are the dates my contract says so legally I have to stand by these dates, as do you' and there shouldn't be an argument they can come back with to that I wouldn't think because they set the dates in the first place. Double check your contract to see if they gave you more than one rent paying schedule and you just missed it by accident because sometimes accommodations will give you two instalment plans, one quarterly plan and then one plan that goes by your student loan. If you didn't say which instalment plan you wanted then I think usually they just stick you down for the quarterly but then you say you had a certain set of dates listed when you signed so I'm not really sure.

To answer your question, once it's in a legal contract I don't think they can just change the dates on you.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending