The Student Room Group

Teach First failure - now what?

Hello,

I didn't get into teach first. It has been what I wanted to do since I was sixteen and it is grinding my brain knowing I will not be able to find out where I went wrong.

Anyway, I want to be a primary school teacher.

Teach first appealed to me as I get paid straight away, and I can get 2/3 of a masters from it. I also can teach in a disadvantaged school, which is where I wanted to be anyway.

So, now, how can I go about becoming a teacher?

And if I'm not good enough to teach in one of the most disadvantaged schools, am I even good enough to teach anywhere else?

Not to mention I'm doing a university course that is basically just education. So I've got no where else other than teaching. Or do so something like after school clubs and stuff, but that's not what I want to do.

Some help please.

Thanks.

Jayde.
Education degree courses aren't entirely for teaching, they are about running a school, an education system, the psychology too, and there are jobs in these areas. You can also go into professional careers like finance.

More importantly though Teach First is competitive. Very competitive. It gives people who aren't eligible for the giant STEM and language PGCE bursaries the chance to become qualified teachers while offering a lot of benefits along the way so naturally a lot of people are attracted to it. There are essentially Teach First societies at universities across the UK which try to help you get a place, that's how competitive it is. Pretty much everyone I knew that was interested in Teach First and didn't get in went onto do a PGCE or a Master's involving teaching then became a teacher. Don't worry about it and carry on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending