The Student Room Group

RAF Life

I am currently considering a career change to a role in the RAF. At the moment, I'm a primary school teacher but I feel it is not the life I expected for many reasons I won't go into.

The RAF has always interested me and I'm considering a role as a Avionics Technician.

What is RAF life like in this role? Do you have to live on base or can you commute?

Also, I have a girlfriend who is willing to support me during this, but will I see her much?

I'd like to understand the force before I apply so please be considerate with your answers. I'm in no means looking for an easy work life, I'd just like to know more about the role/life in the RAF.

@RAF_Adam @RAF_Mark please can you help with this question :smile:
Original post by Harrisonp
I am currently considering a career change to a role in the RAF. At the moment, I'm a primary school teacher but I feel it is not the life I expected for many reasons I won't go into.

The RAF has always interested me and I'm considering a role as a Avionics Technician.

What is RAF life like in this role? Do you have to live on base or can you commute?

Also, I have a girlfriend who is willing to support me during this, but will I see her much?

I'd like to understand the force before I apply so please be considerate with your answers. I'm in no means looking for an easy work life, I'd just like to know more about the role/life in the RAF.

Hi

All roles in the RAF are different. As an aircraft technician (mechanical or avionics) you'll be based on a sqn and will travel with that sqn if they go on exercise or are operationally deployed. However, most of the time you'll be on the station the sqn is based on and work there.

You can live on station, it is usually cheaper to do that as your accommodation/food is subsidised if you live in a mess etc. Married quarters you'll only get if you're actually married, but again, they're cheaper than renting elsewhere. Although you can live off station if you wish, it's your decision. Working week is normally just that, Monday to Friday, but again, depending on the aircraft type you're working on you may do shifts (Typhoon Sqns can be on 24 hour round the clock standby, for example). So you may have to factor that in.

You'll start with ten weeks phase one training at RAF Halton. You will get some weekends free, but that will depend on how you and the rest of your course are getting on. But you can phone home in the evenings etc. Your phase two training is 15 months at RAF Cosford. Again, you'll get some time off, but that will also depend on the course, but it's more than you'll get one phase one, for example. It's not prison! ;-)

If you have any more questions feel free to send me a DM and I'll answer them or get someone in the role who can.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Adam has given some good info here. I'm currently an aircraft technician so thought I'd just add a bit more.

On Typhoon we have regular shift patterns which are two weeks of days, two weeks of nights. Night shifts are usually finished by 2am or earlier so it doesn't really feel like a proper night shift which I really enjoy. We do have some irregular shifts but these don't come up too often. They are swing shift (midnight - 7:30am) and QRA which as a technician is 7 days where you are required to stay at work in a dedicated building so you can respond to any airspace infringements or lost comms from aircraft. We do swing shift maybe once every 2-3 months and QRA can be hit and miss. I've done about 5-6 QRA shifts over the last 18 months.

During training, time off a limited but it gets better as you get to phase 2. Once you're out of training and on a squadron, the weekends are yours. Another reason I like night shifts is that you finish on a Thursday night meaning you get a longer weekend which includes Friday. I've been able to see my girlfriend/family almost every weekend since I've been on the squadron and the only exception is QRA or maybe a parade (which are rare).

I'm happy to answer any others questions you may have also!
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

All roles in the RAF are different. As an aircraft technician (mechanical or avionics) you'll be based on a sqn and will travel with that sqn if they go on exercise or are operationally deployed. However, most of the time you'll be on the station the sqn is based on and work there.

You can live on station, it is usually cheaper to do that as your accommodation/food is subsidised if you live in a mess etc. Married quarters you'll only get if you're actually married, but again, they're cheaper than renting elsewhere. Although you can live off station if you wish, it's your decision. Working week is normally just that, Monday to Friday, but again, depending on the aircraft type you're working on you may do shifts (Typhoon Sqns can be on 24 hour round the clock standby, for example). So you may have to factor that in.

You'll start with ten weeks phase one training at RAF Halton. You will get some weekends free, but that will depend on how you and the rest of your course are getting on. But you can phone home in the evenings etc. Your phase two training is 15 months at RAF Cosford. Again, you'll get some time off, but that will also depend on the course, but it's more than you'll get one phase one, for example. It's not prison! ;-)

If you have any more questions feel free to send me a DM and I'll answer them or get someone in the role who can.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 4
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

What is the phase one and two accommodation like?

Quick Reply

Latest