The Student Room Group

Best extracurricular activities for competitive UK universities

I want to apply to LSE and Oxford, amongst other universities; however, I worry that my supercurriculars are not good enough. Most people that apply to these universities have good grades and are well-rounded students. Therefore, I want a truly impressive supercurricular that would help me stand out from the crowd. At university, I want to study either Finance or Economics and would like my supercurricular to reflect my interest in these fields.

Any ideas on financial or economics related supercurriculars?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by alexstudent
I want to apply to LSE and Oxford, amongst other universities; however, I worry that my extracurriculars are not good enough. Most people that apply to these universities have good grades and are well-rounded students. Therefore, I want a truly impressive extracurricular that would help me stand out from the crowd. At university, I want to study either Finance or Economics and would like my extracurriculars to reflect my interest in these fields.

Any ideas on financial or economics related extracurriculars?

To be honest, the highly academic unis like Oxbridge and LSE care less about extracurriculars like sport etc and more about supercurriculars, eg books you read and talks you go to that are relevant to your subject. In terms of extracurriculars though, it doesn’t really matter what you do, it’s more about how you present it. For example, instead of saying ‘I am part of the debating club,’ you should say ‘participating in the debating club has taught me... and given me ... skills’ or something along those lines. Russell universities like Durham etc do take extracurriculars into account much more, but again they like that style of presentation. Hope this helps! Xx
Reply 2
It doesn't matter as much here as it does in the US. Reading around your subject is much more beneficial, as well as having top grades of course. Having said that, popular ones would include taking up an instrument, being part of a sports team, and charity/volunteer work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending