The Student Room Group

Terrified now to take my foundation year.

Hi guys, I made another post talking about getting an offer from Bristol for Law and Criminology with a foundation year and I felt good about the prospect. But I had people come into the post making me feel awful and stressing me out about it. I haven't been able to sleep because of this and now I'm thinking of rejecting the offer. Someone mentioned doing an access course instead but I'm 20 and I've already wasted enough time chasing grades that I never got. Do you guys think I should just drop the foundation course and start from scratch?
Absolutely not. Ignore the doomsday prophets and be focussed. You’ve been there done that, the foundation yr is a great opportunity at a great university (Bristol university Law is very much coveted). Accept it and do it. Foundation courses I understand,
Also turn out stronger degree students than those who entered straight into yr one. No data to prove it, just direct from a couple of lecturers and will helpfillinanygapsyou May have. Don’t waste anymore time doingretakes/access courses.
Reply 2
If you’ve already tried to improve your A Level grades, I would absolutely say go for the foundation year.

Your A Level grades may be important when applying for competitive placements with law firms who would be looking for consistenly high attainment across your academic history. If you feel that you’re done with your A Levels, the foundation year is definitely the best way to go about getting that law degree.

Good luck!

Original post by RhiannonS123
Hi guys, I made another post talking about getting an offer from Bristol for Law and Criminology with a foundation year and I felt good about the prospect. But I had people come into the post making me feel awful and stressing me out about it. I haven't been able to sleep because of this and now I'm thinking of rejecting the offer. Someone mentioned doing an access course instead but I'm 20 and I've already wasted enough time chasing grades that I never got. Do you guys think I should just drop the foundation course and start from scratch?
@BedfordMom Thank you so much! I thought I was losing my mind, because I just couldn't help but think to myself that retakes/access courses are no guarantee and losing a spot like this could be a really big mistake, my Ucas Coordinator said the same thing. He also mentioned that it's smaller classes as well which I thought would be very helpful to get personal advice. May I ask just generally what did the lecturers say? I find it fascinating to hear a fresh perspective, I've only heard the views of teachers from my school and a few people at work who studied there.
@Ash2810 Thanks ash! Yeah I may try in the future to retake but I think moving forward I'll arrange a meeting with my Ucas coordinator and ask for his perspective, I assume he'll say the same thing. I'll also bring up that point at a meet up that they're having at Bristol soon and ask if they could offer some extra support for mental health and whanot on my behalf. Thanks again!
@BedfordMom Thank you so much! I thought I was losing my mind, because I just couldn't help but think to myself that retakes/access courses are no guarantee and losing a spot like this could be a really big mistake, my Ucas Coordinator said the same thing. He also mentioned that it's smaller classes as well which I thought would be very helpful to get personal advice. May I ask just generally what did the lecturers say? I find it fascinating to hear a fresh perspective, I've only heard the views of teachers from my school and a few people at work who studied there.

Rhiannon,

I have a son who will also be starting uni this September, because his grades are a bit dodgy the backup plan is if he doesn’t meet his offer, he will do a foundation yr at one of his choices. I wasn’t too comfortable with foundation yrs to begin as it really wasn’t a thing in my time, but after speaking to lecturers at his various Unis I gathered it’s a terrific foundation for the degree. It’s an an opportunity to cover any lost ground but also focuses more on what is needed for the degree, rather than just retaking individual subjects or doing an access course. They are also a lot stronger academically once they start the degree than those coming in direct, that is what the lecturers said. I have also spoken to undergrads at the various Unis and I came across during offer/open days a few that entered via the foundation yr. They couldn’t speak well of it enough and how they are now enjoying their degree. I of course also speak to other parents whose children have done a foundation ur, all positive.

I only wish I had someone advise me when I was your age at your stage.🙂
At your age,I was also busy doing retakes over again hoping to get straight in for the course I had in mind. I’m all for retaking, but just twice is enough. If it’s not working seek another route, the world is full of diverse opportunities. There’s more than one way to a degree. Repetitive retakes etc also from my experience can damage your self esteem and confidence as you continue striving to pass the same exam every yrwhilst watching you friends going off to do new things, because it feels like you are stuck in a loop you can’t break out of. I know some will say 20 is still young etc yes it is, but I remeber what it felt like at 20yrs old doing retakes whilst watching 18yr old’s next door going off to uni, I certainly didn’t feel young. Why not try something new? Take the foundation degree, get fired up and motivated on your new journey.

Doing a degree in Law doesn’t even mean you will practise as a lawyer, you may go on to do something completely different, so the point about top law firms looking at your A’levels may well turn out to be a moot point. Bristol is a terrific university and very well know in the city and all big firms. Please grab it with both hands.🙂
@BedfordMom Aww that's lovely! I wish your son all the best, and shall keep you two in my prayers! This has been sooo helpful and encouraging, and has given me a more realistic perspective on what the course has to offer moving forward. It's also really good to hear about other students who spoke so positively about the course, usually, especially on here people are so quick to mock or berate someone who's taken this path and that can be so disheartening. I was so upset yesterday and even cried a little bit over it as I thought I was making the biggest mistake of my life thanks to some people on here! Also it's nice to hear of other students who are happy and healthy in such a course, sometimes the thought of going to university can be quite daunting so this is really really reassuring thank you so much.

Yeah I've reached the point where if I'm going to retake I'll probably just do it a few years from now, when my physical and mental health has improved as I'm in no fit state to attend an access course or retake with my school again, it'd just be too draining and overwhelming. I also really like how supportive more universities are now for mental health, my aunt mentioned when she was really struggling with her mental health at uni she was alone, Bristol seems to have a supportive system which really helped me firm it as my main choice. Yeah I feel the same! It's a horrible feeling but I felt so old compared to them, and I also was recently feeling a bit down in the dumps because everyone in my year will be graduating this year! But I am trying to dwell more on the positive and hopefully things shall improve as I move forward.

Thank you so much, I'm glad someone else agrees Bristol is a terrific uni, I thought that as well but apparently on here it's not! Yeah I'm hoping to explore my options once I reach uni, and perhaps take a masters overseas or here at another Russell Group which is an exciting thought! Thank you, you've been an angel in your replies and it's really helped boost my confidence in terms of attending this uni.
@BedfordMom Aww that's lovely! I wish your son all the best, and shall keep you two in my prayers! This has been sooo helpful and encouraging, and has given me a more realistic perspective on what the course has to offer moving forward. It's also really good to hear about other students who spoke so positively about the course, usually, especially on here people are so quick to mock or berate someone who's taken this path and that can be so disheartening. I was so upset yesterday and even cried a little bit over it as I thought I was making the biggest mistake of my life thanks to some people on here! Also it's nice to hear of other students who are happy and healthy in such a course, sometimes the thought of going to university can be quite daunting so this is really really reassuring thank you so much.

Yeah I've reached the point where if I'm going to retake I'll probably just do it a few years from now, when my physical and mental health has improved as I'm in no fit state to attend an access course or retake with my school again, it'd just be too draining and overwhelming. I also really like how supportive more universities are now for mental health, my aunt mentioned when she was really struggling with her mental health at uni she was alone, Bristol seems to have a supportive system which really helped me firm it as my main choice. Yeah I feel the same! It's a horrible feeling but I felt so old compared to them, and I also was recently feeling a bit down in the dumps because everyone in my year will be graduating this year! But I am trying to dwell more on the positive and hopefully things shall improve as I move forward.

Thank you so much, I'm glad someone else agrees Bristol is a terrific uni, I thought that as well but apparently on here it's not! Yeah I'm hoping to explore my options once I reach uni, and perhaps take a masters overseas or here at another Russell Group which is an exciting thought! Thank you, you've been an angel in your replies and it's really helped boost my confidence in terms of attending this uni.

Your mental health is very important, so I am very happy to hear Bristol are taking it very seriously. We are trying to push this more in schools as well. Please stop crying and feeling down and think about shopping for Uni 😁 and sorting accommodation. Yes there is a lot fist pumping and chest beating on here, it’s very easy to get caught up in it all. Will remeber you in prayer too. Goodluck!
If you cannot improve grades on an Access course, what makes you think you can improve grades on the foundation year? There is no guarantee you'd be offered a place at Bristol proper after the year is up; that'll depend upon your performance.
@Notoriety I'd feel more confident in a foundation course because they're offering mental health support at the uni as well, which usually means I can get through the year and achieve the necessary grades, my grades didn't go so well doing retakes as I wasn't able to find a therapist at the time. All the places where booked. But I already feel more comfortable with studying the foundation course because of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending